1. Andromeda

Formal characteristics of noun phrases

Hey everyone, Im new here and I have an assignment due today and Im having serious problems. I have been asked to identify all the Noun phrases and identify the grammatical relations and formal characteristics. Could anyone please help with the following sentences?

The youngest player and the oldest one were two of the standout performers in Australia's successful defence of its crown.

Most people consider Cochrane the best for selection.

Their faith has been earned by the fact that when they put a bloke on the field, he's normally ok.

Im having such difficulty with this, :(

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like
    I'll get you started:

In the first sentence, the noun phrases are 'the youngest player' (compound subject), 'the oldest one' (compound subject), 'two' (verb complement), 'the standout performers' (object of the preposition 'of'), 'Australia's successful defense' (object of the preposition 'in'), and 'its crown' (object of the preposition 'of').

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Formal characteristics of noun phrases

Quote Originally Posted by Andromeda
    Hey everyone, Im new here and I have an assignment due today and Im having serious problems. I have been asked to identify all the Noun phrases and identify the grammatical relations and formal characteristics. Could anyone please help with the following sentences?

The youngest player and the oldest one were two of the standout performers in Australia's successful defence of its crown.

Most people consider Cochrane the best for selection.

Their faith has been earned by the fact that when they put a bloke on the field, he's normally ok.

Im having such difficulty with this, :(
    Sorry. We try not to do school assignments, but if there's a specific question or area you need help with, let us know. We'd be more than happy to help you out.

All the best, :D