Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chink, Chinaman

Redy is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chink, Chinaman

In China, most people use an instant chatting software called QQ, which is more popular than MSN in China. I use both.

A couple of days ago, I surprisingly found an Australian guy in an QQ chat group. This Australian guy is living in China. In this QQ Chat group, he was teasing a girl, and he called that girl "tart" "streetwalker", and he said:" look, I like you, therefore, even if I seem to be offending you, I can get away with that, because we are acquaintances, you won't mind, right?"

That girl and us stander-bys felt insulted, we told him:"Get out! Get lost!", at that moment, he yelled:"You Chink always think you're better than us foreigners, get rid of your xonephobia! f u c k! Chinaman treat foreigners like shit!" We all knew that girl was very conversative, she's never used to flirting something.
    ----------------------------------------

My question is: Does Chink mean Chinese in an derogatory way? what about Chinaman? the same meaning?

By the way, I hate that guy, we all called him "jerk" from then on

jomo27 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Chink, Chinaman

Hi man..

Where can I download QQ software?

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redy View Post
    In China, most people use an instant chatting software called QQ, which is more popular than MSN in China. I use both.

A couple of days ago, I surprisingly found an Australian guy in an QQ chat group. This Australian guy is living in China. In this QQ Chat group, he was teasing a girl, and he called that girl "tart" "streetwalker", and he said:" look, I like you, therefore, even if I seem to be offending you, I can get away with that, because we are acquaintances, you won't mind, right?"

That girl and us stander-bys felt insulted, we told him:"Get out! Get lost!", at that moment, he yelled:"You Chink always think you're better than us foreigners, get rid of your xonephobia! f u c k! Chinaman treat foreigners like shit!" We all knew that girl was very conversative, she's never used to flirting something.
    ----------------------------------------

My question is: Does Chink mean Chinese in an derogatory way? what about Chinaman? the same meaning?

By the way, I hate that guy, we all called him "jerk" from then on
    It is rude and unacceptable.

Using such terms as you suggest is never truly a sign of friendship. It always indicates an underlying aggression, anger and despicable attitude. Have nothing to do with someone who does this.

banderas is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redy View Post

My question is: Does Chink mean Chinese in an derogatory way?
    I am afraid it is offensive.
    Sorry to tell you.
    ------------------------------------------
    Ps.Please participate in the vote 'Would you like to live in the USA?'. We need to see your beautiful opinions about living in the USA! Hopping that you'd set the stage for having a good conclusion!
    Last edited by banderas; 30-Jul-2008 at 00:23.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jomo27 View Post
    Hi man..

Where can I download QQ software?
    http://dl_dir.qq.com/qqfile-big5/EngQQ2005Formal.exe

stuartnz is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

"Chink" is very deliberately offensive. "Chinaman" can be, but it is also a term in cricket.

jomo27 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Redy.

I'm With Stupid is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

There's a Wikipedia article on it. Yes, it is a derogatory term for a Chinese person (although the people who use it generally don't go to the effort to find out whether someone is actually Chinese before using it, so it would generally be used to refer to anyone of east-Asian origin). In the UK, the term "chinky" is used by some to refer to Chinese food, and isn't meant in a derogatory manner, although the somewhat offensive origins of that word mean that (in my experience) it's becoming rarer for people to use that term.

Chinaman is less so. There's also a Wikipedia article on Chinaman. I think unlike Chink, it's one of those words that wasn't considered offensive originally, but as racist people start to use it in that manner, it then becomes offensive later on in history. It's probably more equivalent to the word negro, in that it's a bit archaic, and some people might find it a bit offensive. But in the context that the person was using it in, yes, I would take it as offensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I'm With Stupid View Post
    There's a Wikipedia article on it. Yes, it is a derogatory term for a Chinese person (although the people who use it generally don't go to the effort to find out whether someone is actually Chinese before using it, so it would generally be used to refer to anyone of east-Asian origin). In the UK, the term "chinky" is used by some to refer to Chinese food, and isn't meant in a derogatory manner, although the somewhat offensive origins of that word mean that (in my experience) it's becoming rarer for people to use that term.

Chinaman is less so. There's also a Wikipedia article on Chinaman. I think unlike Chink, it's one of those words that wasn't considered offensive originally, but as racist people start to use it in that manner, it then becomes offensive later on in history. It's probably more equivalent to the word negro, in that it's a bit archaic, and some people might find it a bit offensive. But in the context that the person was using it in, yes, I would take it as offensive.
    Thanks, teacher for the detailed explanation.

BTW, what does your nickname mean? Is it slang?

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

In the US, it is politically correct to refer to people of Asian descent either as Asian-Americans, or else by their more specific country of origin: Chinese-American, Korean-American, etc. Terms like "Chink," "Chinaman," "Jap," "Nip," "Gook," etc, are considered to be very offensive.

And while I can't speak for I'm With Stupid personally, I believe that his/her name is derived from a popular T-shirt design of the 19701s/80s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast