• Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

• Post Thanks / Like

tucker/tentative/top-line

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to review my guesswork concerning the interpretation of three words which focused my attention when reading Frank Hardy’s “The Returned Soldier”?

“Yet she was right; I must find work. To pay the bills, the rent especially, to get some good tucker and clothes; to get the sewing machine back”

“Outside, he stood as though undecided in which direction to turn, then crossed the road and walked down the opposite footpath with tentative strides.”

”But you have no sign outside. You must need a good man. Tope-line tradesman. Good references.”

1. tucker (n) = one that tucks, especially an attachment on a sewing machine for making tucks

tuck (v) = to store in a safe spot; save: tuck away a bit of lace; tuck away millions

phrasal verb “tuck away / into” = to consume (food) heartily

You may draw a conclusion: tucker = food so “for tucker and clothes” = for food and clothes; for back and belly

2. tentative (a) = uncertain; hesitant

with tentative strides = hesitantly, undecided

3. top-line = first-rate

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards

V.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: tucker/tentative/top-line

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to review my guesswork concerning the interpretation of three words which focused my attention when reading Frank Hardy’s “The Returned Soldier”?

“Yet she was right; I must find work. To pay the bills, the rent especially, to get some good tucker and clothes; to get the sewing machine back”

“Outside, he stood as though undecided in which direction to turn, then crossed the road and walked down the opposite footpath with tentative strides.”

”But you have no sign outside. You must need a good man. Tope-line tradesman. Good references.”

1. tucker (n) = one that tucks, especially an attachment on a sewing machine for making tucks

tuck (v) = to store in a safe spot; save: tuck away a bit of lace; tuck away millions

phrasal verb “tuck away / into” = to consume (food) heartily

You may draw a conclusion: tucker = food so “for tucker and clothes” = for food and clothes; for back and belly

2. tentative (a) = uncertain; hesitant

with tentative strides = hesitantly, undecided

3. top-line = first-rate

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards

V.
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    1. Yes, tucker is food. It's an Australian term. (Frank Hardy was Australian).

Your questions are easy to answer, vil. It would be great if other posters had a go first, before asking their questions!