Post Thanks / Like

Comma confusion!!

(Not a teacher! Just studying to become medical transcriptionist.)
    #1 I am torn between leaving the commas in the following sentence or taking them out: Mild, anterior, plantar fascial tenderness.
    I was thinking of leaving them in thinking that mild, anterior, and plantar are all modifying/describing the fascial tenderness.

#2 In this sentence, I was thinking the comma was correct as the ending seemed to me as "extra" or paenethical: Parents in good health except for father, who has back pain.

#3 In this one, I am not quite sure if the comma is needed. I was leaning toward no comma as the last part of the sentence seems important: Medication discontinued after 3 years of therapy, due to finiancial hardship.

#4 This one, I put a comma in thinking that the words within the comma were also parentheical pharses but I'm not quite sure: This began in 1997, when she was postpartum, and devleoped depression, pain, and mood swings.

Please, somebody help!!!!!

2006 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Comma confusion!!

Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    (Not a teacher! Just studying to become medical transcriptionist.) You can also ask your transcription teachers these questions. In most cases the presence or absence of a comma will only be important when it clearly changes the meaning.
    #1 I am torn between leaving the commas in the following sentence or taking them out: Mild, anterior, plantar fascial tenderness.
    I was thinking of leaving them in thinking that mild, anterior, and plantar are all modifying/describing the fascial tenderness. But we don't separate multiple adjectives with commas.

#2 In this sentence, I was thinking the comma was correct as the ending seemed to me as "extra" or paenethical: Parents in good health except for father, who has back pain.

#3 In this one, I am not quite sure if the comma is needed. I was leaning toward no comma as the last part of the sentence seems important: Medication discontinued after 3 years of therapy, due to finiancial hardship. Keep the comma; otherwise it sounds like the therapy was due to financial hardship.
    #4 This one, I put a comma in thinking that the words within the comma were also parentheical pharses but I'm not quite sure: This began in 1997, when she was postpartum, and devleoped depression, pain, and mood swings. Remove the comma after "postpartum".

Please, somebody help!!!!!
    That is what I would do. Others may have different thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Comma confusion!!

Thank you so much, your reply really helped!!! Made a lot of sense.

2006 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Comma confusion!!

[quote=Noodles;328772]Thank you so much, your reply really helped!!! You're welcome. But I have to tell you that you can't separate the two independent clauses in your sentence with a comma. You need to use a semicolon. (or have two sentences)
    quote]