Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. stuartnz's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,370
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Just wanted to say thanks

    for the Ignore option. Not every forum has this function but after realising that most of the threads which have been closed by the moderators have certain things in common, I have greatly increased the peace and enjoyment I get from these excellent forums by judicious use of this function. Thanks again!

  2. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,513
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Just wanted to say thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by stuartnz View Post
    for the Ignore option. Not every forum has this function but after realising that most of the threads which have been closed by the moderators have certain things in common, I have greatly increased the peace and enjoyment I get from these excellent forums by judicious use of this function. Thanks again!
    Stuart, say, where to find this option?

  3. stuartnz's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,370
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Just wanted to say thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by banderas View Post
    Stuart, say, where to find this option?

    In your "User CP" you have an "ignore list" to which you can add members by username. So if you find that one particular member's posting style threatens your equanimity without offering stimulation or enlightenment in return, you can "ignore" all posts by that user.

  4. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,513
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Just wanted to say thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by stuartnz View Post
    In your "User CP" you have an "ignore list" to which you can add members by username. So if you find that one particular member's posting style threatens your equanimity without offering stimulation or enlightenment in return, you can "ignore" all posts by that user.
    What is the effect of putting someone on the Ignore List?
    I will not see theit posts? Or their posts are not gonna be displayed in the thread I stared ( I am the author of)?
    How does it work, please?Can anybody else see the posts of someone who is on my Ignore List?

  5. stuartnz's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,370
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Just wanted to say thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by banderas View Post
    What is the effect of putting someone on the Ignore List?
    I will not see theit posts? Or their posts are not gonna be displayed in the thread I stared ( I am the author of)?
    How does it work, please?
    Only their posts are hidden, with a notice that this because they are on your ignore list. If others quote their posts, you will still see the quoted portions. Other members are not affected by your ignore list. If you start a thread and someone on your list posts to it, any member who does not have that person on their ignore list will see that post.

  6. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,513
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Just wanted to say thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by stuartnz View Post
    Only their posts are hidden, with a notice that this because they are on your ignore list. If others quote their posts, you will still see the quoted portions. Other members are not affected by your ignore list. If you start a thread and someone on your list posts to it, any member who does not have that person on their ignore list will see that post.
    So people may insult you and you will not know which is good but others will- which is not so good.Thanks for sharing this with me, anyway.

  7. stuartnz's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,370
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Just wanted to say thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by banderas View Post
    So people may insult you and you will not know which is good but others will- which is not so good.Thanks for sharing this with me, anyway.
    I use it only sparingly. I like posting in the ask a teacher forum, but found that one frequent contributor there has a style which irritates me. Rather than stay out of the forum altogether, I can now ignore that one person's posts, and so am again able to contribute without fear of being provoked into telling that person what I really think of their posting style and English skill level.

  8. banderas's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2008
    • Posts: 1,513
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Just wanted to say thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by stuartnz View Post
    I use it only sparingly. I like posting in the ask a teacher forum, but found that one frequent contributor there has a style which irritates me. Rather than stay out of the forum altogether, I can now ignore that one person's posts, and so am again able to contribute without fear of being provoked into telling that person what I really think of their posting style and English skill level.
    That makes sense to me, Stuart.

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted a guidance
    By mahesh.bhalerao in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14-Jun-2008, 16:48
  2. Keith wanted to ask Jennifer to go on a date with him,
    By angliholic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-Dec-2007, 13:36
  3. He wanted to help us, but he was not able.
    By angliholic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 26-Nov-2007, 04:09
  4. Help Wanted from Help Wanted! Thanks again, everyone! ^o^
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-Oct-2003, 21:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •