Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Ask a word


    • Join Date: Apr 2004
    • Posts: 1,814
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Ask a word

    Hi,

    Everyone knows eyelid;we have upper one and the lower one. Okay, here is my question. I am looking for a word that describes single-folded and double-folded eyelid. Let me draw you a picture to help you understand what I'm saying.

    =.= double-folded eyelid

    -,- single-folded eyelid


    Is there any specific word for that?

  1. Sam-F
    Guest
    #2
    Hmmm,

    while there may well be a special medical term, I think that it is comonly refered to just the way that you used it: single-fold eyelids and double-fold eyelids.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 45,954
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3
    Hooded????

  2. Susie Smith
    Guest
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Hooded????
    I googled it and found the expressions single-fold eyelid and double-fold eyelid, as well as single eyelid and double eyelid.

    :)

  3. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Ask a word

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Hi,

    Everyone knows eyelid;we have upper one and the lower one. Okay, here is my question. I am looking for a word that describes single-folded and double-folded eyelid. Let me draw you a picture to help you understand what I'm saying.

    =.= double-folded eyelid

    -,- single-folded eyelid


    Is there any specific word for that?
    In addition,

    The fold created in the double-eyelid surgery procedure is called a supratarsal fold.

    Read more...



    • Join Date: Apr 2004
    • Posts: 1,814
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6
    Your waving hands at the end of your reply looked queer! It is as if you were a beneficiary of 'eye work' and you are recruiting me to join you.

    Oh well, I have to think about it! Mines are double alreay. =.=

  4. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Your waving hands at the end of your reply looked queer! It is as if you were a beneficiary of 'eye work' and you are recruiting me to join you.

    Oh well, I have to think about it! Mines are double alreay. =.=
    In North American English "queer" means, gay, homosexual.

    When I live in Canada, I heard nothing about double-eyelid surgery. I never even knew it existed until that is I moved to Japan. I saw a documentary on it a couple of months ago: Teenage girls in Taiwan were having the procedure done! :? It's not something I understand, but if it makes a person feel better about themselves, then there's no harm in it, I guess. That reminds me, have you heard about the tongue slicing going on in South Korea. Agh.

  5. welldone
    Guest
    #8
    Casiopea, I have seen quite some people having their tongue pierced here at USA.
    I don't know how they eat.

  6. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by welldone
    Casiopea, I have seen quite some people having their tongue pierced here at USA.
    I don't know how they eat.
    What's going on in South Korea (i.e., tongue slicing) is mild in comparison to tongue piercing. :(

  7. claude
    Guest
    #10
    Are those pierced tongue guys called punks?
    I heared about some South Korean sliced their tongues in order to speak English well, with shorter tongues.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. word stress
    By bread in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Jul-2004, 01:05
  2. Word Checker 1 - The Dolch basic word list
    By Tdol in forum UsingEnglish.com Content
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24-May-2004, 13:26
  3. Word Checker 1 - The Dolch basic word list
    By Tdol in forum UsingEnglish.com Content
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-Apr-2004, 15:30
  4. Questions about Inversions - Inverted Word Order
    By Anonymous in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 31-May-2003, 22:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •