• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: " black man " implies racial discrimination?(pls debate calmly, thank yo

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    By nonsense do you mean you think it is a hoax?
    No ronbee, I do believe it's true. But to release this product of a brainstorming one might be crazy. Ok, advertisement has been changing a lot since then.

By the way, thank you for checking my sentence ;).

dodonaomik, I agree with you (though I'm not black), it's just weird (in my opinion), it's not insulting!

Soup is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

It's great toothpaste by the way. I use it.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anreak View Post
    No ronbee, I do believe it's true. But to release this product of a brainstorming one might be crazy. Ok, advertisement has been changing a lot since then.
    Hi anreak,
    I think what you meant is "I can't believe that's true!" This means you are having trouble believing it, or you're expressing surprise.
    This is a better thing to say than "I don't believe that's true!", which sounds like you are either arguing with the other person, or calling them a liar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dodonaomik View Post
    Oh, my god! There are "黑人牙膏"( black man toothpaste) in China, but it hasn't racial discrimination.
    Because most Chinese people think the African people are very healthy and their skin is black( a healthy color) and teeth are very white and good .
    And I think even most Chinese university students don't know the word "DARKLE" or " DARLIE" if he doesn't major English.
    Well, this brand "黑人牙膏" certainly rang the bell that it seemed to be a Taiwan based company...pls check out the following address:Business Express - Business Directory of Taiwan
    Since my childhood, this is a household name for everyone, for its massive commercial ad. broacasted on TV in 80's.

The reason why it was named after "Darkle", my best guess, should be the prejudice of blacken man (pls note that some Taiwanese aborigines do have the dark skin as black as African do)
    So the brand has no intention to refer to any racial issue but emphasize on the contrary between two colors, and that's the idea the bussinesmen wanted to sell.
    Guess the founder of this company should never imagine that the brand would ever become such a issue...

Remark:
    1. The brand had been changed from Darkie into Darlie in 1990.

2. As a matter of fact, Taiwan has the following brands: "White man toothpaste", "Green man toothpaste" (Translation in Madarin),

guess we not only foresee the future issue of colors, but also predict the first contact with Alien...

Just for reference.
    Last edited by Matt1978; 04-Aug-2008 at 19:58. Reason: grammar correction

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt1978 View Post
    Well, this brand "黑人牙膏" certainly rang the bell that it seemed to be a Taiwan based company...pls check out the following address:Business Express - Business Directory of Taiwan

2. As a matter of fact, Taiwan has the following brands: "White man toothpaste", "Green man toothpaste" (Translation in Madarin),

guess we not only foresee the future issue of colors, but also predict the first contact with Alien...

Just for reference.
    "Green Man Toothpaste: Four out of five dentists on Mars reccomend it for their patients."

P.A. The U.S. has had its share of racially insensitive products, too. In the 1970s, a flavor of Funny Face drink mix was called "Chinese Cherry" and featured this picture on the packet. Once enough complaints were received from the Chinese-American community, the name was changed to "Choo Choo Cherry" and the picture was replaced with this one.
    Last edited by Ouisch; 04-Aug-2008 at 21:01.

heidita is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe
    Post Thanks / Like

I have always found it rather confusing that the word darkie or even "the n-word" as they call it on the Tonight Show cannot be used by white persons, though it is used by black people all the time.

In Spain we have the word "negro" which resembles the "n-word" a lot, but the meaning is simply "black". I have seen many threads where Spanish speakingpeople were called racists only for using this word.

In any case, what I was saying before, I only just saw this post in a profile of a black girl in Learn Spanish Free Online - SpanishDict

UMMA GUTTA AZZ BITCH I'M BOUT MY SHIT SEE NO NIGGA FEAR NO BITCH....GOT MY SHIT 2GETER ND I'M ONLY 15
    (I am sorry not to be able to include her profile as you have to be registered to see it. )

Well why can they use the "n-word" and not others? I do not see the logic of this at all.

anreak is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Hi anreak,
    I think what you meant is "I can't believe that's true!" This means you are having trouble believing it, or you're expressing surprise.
    This is a better thing to say than "I don't believe that's true!", which sounds like you are either arguing with the other person, or calling them a liar.
    Absolutely. Thanks.

anreak is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heidita View Post
    In Spain we have the word "negro" which resembles the "n-word" a lot, but the meaning is simply "black". I have seen many threads where Spanish speakingpeople were called racists only for using this word.
    You see, here negro is not only not derogatory but considered by negros the right way to address the race. As long as it's necessary of course.

heidita is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anreak View Post
    You see, here negro is not only not derogatory but considered by negros the right way to address the race. As long as it's necessary of course.
    That's exactly it...but as it sounds so much like ni**er, we have a lot of problems here. I really do not understand this very well.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Anreak, do you mean to say that you don't believe Wikipedia?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast