Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: fom which

  1. #1
    navi tasan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,952
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default fom which

    Which of these is correct:
    1-The house the light from which looked like a fire was far away.
    2-The house the light coming from which looked like a fire was far away.
    3-The town the streets in which are extremely narrow is nearby.
    4-The town, the streets in which are extremely narrow, is nearby.

  2. #2
    lucyarliwu Guest

    Default Re: fom which

    Quote Originally Posted by navi tasan
    Which of these is correct:
    1-The house the light from which looked like a fire was far away.
    2-The house the light coming from which looked like a fire was far away.
    3-The town the streets in which are extremely narrow is nearby.
    4-The town, the streets in which are extremely narrow, is nearby.
    I might choose the last one.

  3. #3
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,391
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    1-The house the light from which looked like a fire was far away. a bit forced
    2-The house the light coming from which looked like a fire was far away. eek
    3-The town the streets in which are extremely narrow is nearby. just about
    4-The town, the streets in which are extremely narrow, is nearby. OK

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    1-The house the light from which looked like a fire was far away. a bit forced
    2-The house the light coming from which looked like a fire was far away. eek
    3-The town the streets in which are extremely narrow is nearby. just about
    4-The town, the streets in which are extremely narrow, is nearby. OK
    Excuse me, Tdol, could I say "The house which the light looking like a fire came from was far away" and is it possible to say something instead of "looked like a fire". i.e. "fire-like"?

  5. #5
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: fom which

    I agree with TDOL. Sentences one and four are grammatically correct, but they are not very natural.

    1-The house the light from which looked like a fire was far away.
    A light that looked like a fire came from the distant house.

    4-The town, the streets in which are extremely narrow, is nearby.
    The nearby town has streets that are extremely narrow.

    8)

  6. #6
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Yes, you can use fire-like. How would you phrase the sentence?

    8)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Yes, you can use fire-like. How would you phrase the sentence?
    8)
    The house which the fire-like light came from was far away.

  8. #8
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anatoly
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Yes, you can use fire-like. How would you phrase the sentence?
    8)
    The house which the fire-like light came from was far away.
    Yes, I like that. It's good!

    8)

  9. #9
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That sentence has a nice "ring" to it. In fact, it's rather poetic.

    The house which the fire-like light came from was far away. The flame flickered in the distance--a dim spot of light. The house was burning--burning like a candle.

    Hm.

    8)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Quote Originally Posted by Anatoly
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Yes, you can use fire-like. How would you phrase the sentence?
    8)
    The house which the fire-like light came from was far away.
    Yes, I like that. It's good! 8)
    Thank you, very much, RonBee! :D

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •