Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    vil is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,000
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default remote mountain village that is blanketed with crows.

    Dear teachers,

    There is a breaf excerpt of a NYT’s article:

    “BOZINOVICI, Bosnia and Herzegovina — Ratko Mladic, accused in Europe’s worst massacre since World War II and now the most wanted fugitive for the atrocities in the Balkan wars, grew up in this poor, remote mountain village that is blanketed with crows. Here, as in many places where Serbs live, his military prowess, his undeniable suffering and the imponderable scale of the crimes he is accused of have made him as much a national myth as a man.”

    Would you be kind enough to explain to me the proper meaning of the expression in bold? Would you tell me whether there is only a literal meaning or I have to fish for an idiomatic meaning?

    Thank you for your efforts.

    Regards

    V

  2. #2
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: remote mountain village that is blanketed with crows.

    Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

    There is a breaf excerpt of a NYT’s article:

    “BOZINOVICI, Bosnia and Herzegovina — Ratko Mladic, accused in Europe’s worst massacre since World War II and now the most wanted fugitive for the atrocities in the Balkan wars, grew up in this poor, remote mountain village that is blanketed with crows. Here, as in many places where Serbs live, his military prowess, his undeniable suffering and the imponderable scale of the crimes he is accused of have made him as much a national myth as a man.”

    Would you be kind enough to explain to me the proper meaning of the expression in bold? Would you tell me whether there is only a literal meaning or I have to fish for an idiomatic meaning?

    Thank you for your efforts.

    Regards

    V
    There's a common term "blanketed with/in snow", which means a metaphorical blanket of snow on the ground. "Blanketed with crows" would mean that you couldn't see the ground because of all the crows. Strange.

  3. #3
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: remote mountain village that is blanketed with crows.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    There's a common term "blanketed with/in snow", which means a metaphorical blanket of snow on the ground. "Blanketed with crows" would mean that you couldn't see the ground because of all the crows. Strange.
    Not really. The crow family gather in enormous groups - up to tens of thousands at times. Also if the birds are in the villages they are more likely to be jackdaws, and jackdaws form large social and familial groups. In our village this year the village green was blanketed with jackdaws searching for food. It needn't mean totally covered, just that there were lots of the birds.

  4. #4
    vil is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,000
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: remote mountain village that is blanketed with crows.

    Hi Anglika and Raymott,

    Thank you for your prompt responses as well as for your attempts to explain the metaphorical meaning of the expression in question in one way or another. .

    When I read the mentioned above article I remembered one of the most famous poems ever written. When I saw the word “crow” instinctivly I got the feeling of a resemblance to the mythical raven in Edgar Alan Po’s "The Raven". I took prompt action and looked up references to ravens in mythology and folklore. There are many authors calling the raven a "thing of evil" and a "prophet.

    According to Hebrew folklore, Noah sends a white raven to check conditions while on the ark and learns the floodwaters are beginning to dissipate, but does not immediately return with the news. It is punished by being turned black and being forced to forever feed on carrion.

    It’s my profound conviction that there wasn’t only by a mere chance the usage of the expression “remote mountain village that is blanket with crows”. There was dropped a hint at allegorical gist of the crow (raven).

    Regards

    V.

  5. #5
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: remote mountain village that is blanketed with crows.

    Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    It’s my profound conviction that there wasn’t only by a mere chance the usage of the expression “remote mountain village that is blanket with crows”. There was dropped a hint at allegorical gist of the crow (raven).

    Regards

    V.
    Yes, I don't doubt that he mentioned a blanket of crows for some reason other than pure description.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •