Thread: Cover letter

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Cover letter

I am writing a cover letter for my CV and I would like to check it before to send to the employer. Can anyone have a look at that and let me know any suggestions, things to be improved and, over all, any corrections needed?

>>> COVER LETTER <<<

I have over 15 years’ experience as a Project Manager with extensive Change Management skills and as an IT graduate I am also able to understand complex IT issues and handle in-depth trouble shooting. I have developed my experience within many sectors and having worked for multinational companies I have broad expertise in running projects across different countries. I have managed projects with budgets over £34 million and I possess extensive leadership skills managing over 40 individuals and 50 consultants to achieve company objectives.

With my Change Management skills, developed in several projects, I am able to lead project through difficult path and deep changes. I am able to manage people who rejects changes, to analyse real issues, to solve troubles finding appropriate answers, actions and strategic plans, to lead people and team towards new visions and missions and to help people and team to see positive ways in the new changes.

I managed many IT implementations and entire projects life cycles. I implemented IT solutions for new business processes including web software and intranet systems, software for reducing of costs between customers and front end, software for improving production processes in back offices, IT systems for improving performance and services. I worked within big projects where I managed complex IT system integrations understanding IT issues, finding appropriate solutions, managing third parties and their relationships and keeping objectives within budget and deadlines.

Having worked within high profile organisations I am developed my abilities to work at different levels; with top managers updating for gathering requirements, project updating including issues and solutions and suggesting new approaches. And with team members for detailing activities, actions and project changes. I setup workplaces environments for almost all the projects managed. Having worked for both multinational companies and small organisations I am business oriented and I developed have cost management knowledge and how to meet business needs and objectives despite technical issues.

I recently completed a four years contract for Company A (Merrill Lynch group), one of the largest distributors of salary-secured personal loans. At the request of the CEO I led the company into new scenarios and visions, managing the entire change project, involving the whole company, creating two new departments; Internal Audit and HR and also covering the Head of Personnel position. The result has been: originations generated from €160 million to exceed €600 (+375%) million per year and employees from 28 to 115.

Prior to Company A I started up Company B, one of the first Web Banks dealing in retail banking, trading online, personal loans, mortgages, credit, debit and prepaid cards. Involved from the initial Business Plan definition, I developed and managed the entire start-up project. As a result of my innovative ideas, Company B sold bank services under different brands (e.g. Bmw, Tesco, Tour Operator, etc.). I was also responsible for Data Protection Act compliance.

Having worked for Consultancy companies I can cover positions as both client and provider. Indeed another company start-up was for a branch of an international consultancy company based in Madrid, Spain, the focus of the company being on e-Commerce, e-Banking, Market place, B2B, B2C and e-CRM, etc.

I have worked for Company C for ten years within its headquarter, managing several project, team and innovative organisation solutions.

I live in UK though I am able to relocate easily. I am Italian with fluency in English and conversational Spanish which I am very happy to use within my role.

>>> END <<<

Stilo is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cover letter

SunMoon Please advise if it is too late for me to proof read your covering letter . I did so, but when I came to submit it I had been logged off.

I do think, whilst good, that your covering letter is far too long. Most, in fact all of the contents, should be in your CV.

The covering letter should make the point as to why you should be hired, well in fact be interviewed. It should bring out the salient points that make you unique ie your USP.

Keep in your mind the HR Manager reading it. I have rejected many an application on the basis that I did not have time to read pages and pages of letters. Remember time is money!

Good luck and come back if you do want me to edit anything.

Regards

Stilo

thedaffodils is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Cover letter

The covering letter should make the point as to why you should be hired, well in fact be interviewed. It should bring out the salient points that make you unique ie your USP.

Keep in your mind the HR Manager reading it. I have rejected many an application on the basis that I did not have time to read pages and pages of letters. Remember time is money!
    The advice is very helpful. I'd like to copy them down in my notebook.

Stilo is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thedaffodils View Post
    The advice is very helpful. I'd like to copy them down in my notebook.
    No problem daffodils! It may help if someone starts a thread on WHAT MAKES US INDIVIDUALS, WHAT ARE OUR UNIQUE SELLING POINTS. There again if we do that none of us will be unique.!!! Ha Ha

Stilo

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Cover letter

Quote Originally Posted by Stilo View Post
    I do think, whilst good, that your covering letter is far too long. Most, in fact all of the contents, should be in your CV.

Stilo, Thanks for answering!

You are right though it seems like to walk over the eggs. I used to send CV 2 pages long with cover letter of few rows but the main part of recruiters, maybe because were too young, did not know to understand all my skills reading my CV; for example I used to write just that as project manager I developed a company from 28 to 115 employees within project of 4 years, it means that I have extensive change management expertise, but they did not recognise that - then I tried to add that having conducted a change project for developing a company from 28 to 115 I have extensive change management expertise, but they did not recognise that I have experience in managing people in difficult situations/contexts. And many other cases such as recruiters that call me back because they understood that I have a broad experience but a cv of 2 pages long was too short in my case. And so on!

So, seeing these kind of feedback and on basis that I have really a broad experience, I changed my approach and I am writing cover letter like that for anticipating a CV of 6 pages long. However I am not sure whether this approach is fine.

What do you mean with USP?

And, is my cover letter correct?

Stilo is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand SunMoon; you are right in trying different methods and tsee which works. I was just speaking from my personal Personnel/HR experience.

It is impossible to tell how any application will be judged. You have to just take your chance. In the UK, applicants often ask for feedback regarding their applications, but it is not easy to give or receive. We have to be so careful to comply with European Working Directives.

USP is something that you have to take into consideration. Your application needs to make the point that you are better than the rest, and the best place to say this is in your covering letter. USP stands for Unique Selling Point. You have numerous USP's I have put in Bold type.

Everything saleable has a USP. It made be that it is unbreakable, has a lifetime guarantee, it is good value for money etc. The same applies if you are applying for a job. You must match your skills with those required for the position advertised, and really push the points that make you 'right for the job' i.e. your unique selling points.

As I don't know the advertised position it may be incorrect ....Well here goes

I am an IT graduate having over 15 years’ experience as a Project Manager with extensive Change Management skills. I have an intensive understanding of complex IT issues and able to handle in-depth trouble shooting. Many of the projects I managed projects had budgets over £34 million. I possess extensive leadership skills managing over 40 individuals and 50 consultants in achieving company objectives.

My Change Management skills, developed in several projects, I am able to lead a project through difficult stages and complex changes. I have the ability to manage people who reject change, to analyse real issues, to solve troubles finding the appropriate answers and follow through strategic plans. I manage individuals towards new visions and facilitated (helped) teams to see the positive benefit of change.

I managed many IT implementations and entire projects life cycles. I implemented IT solutions for new business processes. These included web software and intranet systems, software for reducing of costs between customers and front end, software for improving production processes in back offices, and IT systems for improving performance and services. I worked within big projects where I managed complex IT system integrations understanding IT issues, finding appropriate solutions, managing third parties and their relationships, delivering objectives within budget and deadlines.

Having worked within high profile organisations I developed my abilities to work at different levels; with top managers updating and gathering information, project updating including dealing with issues and finding solutions by suggesting new approaches. I have setup the necessary working environments for almost all the projects managed. Having worked for both multinational companies and small organisations I am professional and business oriented. I have developed my cost management knowledge in meeting business needs and objectives balancing these with technical issues.

I recently completed a four years contract for Company A (Merrill Lynch group), one of the largest distributors of salary-secured personal loans. At the request of the CEO (of Company C) I led the company into new scenarios and visions, managing the entire change project, involving the whole company. Creating two new departments Internal Audit and HR I also covered the Head of Personnel position. The result has been: originations generated from €160 million to exceed €600 (+375%) million per year and employees from 28 to 115.

Prior to Company A I started up Company B, one of the first Web Banks dealing in retail banking, trading online, personal loans, mortgages, credit, debit and prepaid cards. Involved from the initial Business Plan definition, I developed and managed the entire start-up project. As a result of my innovative ideas, Company B sold bank services under different brands (e.g. BMW, Tesco, Tour Operator, etc.). I was also responsible for Data Protection Act compliance.

Having worked for Consultancy companies I can cover positions as both client and provider. Indeed another I was involved in a company start-up (was) for a branch of an international consultancy company based in Madrid, Spain, the focus of the company being on e-Commerce, e-Banking, Market place, B2B, B2C and e-CRM, etc.

I have worked for Company C for ten years within its headquarters, managing several project, team and innovative organisation solutions

I have run projects across different countries for multinational companies. I currently live in UK though I am able to relocate easily. I am Italian, fluent in English and conversational Spanish which I am very happy to use within my role.

Just using the bold type will shorten the letter a little but bring enough of your excellent skills. The rest can go in a CV.

These are just my thoughts as an experience Personnel Manager but often they are filtered by a junior admin clerk. You pays your money and take a chance, as you say in a round about way 'you are always walking on eggshells' Your versions sounds better ..... Ha.

Take care and I hope it helps somewhere along the line.

Stilo

Post Thanks / Like

Your work helps me really to see my words from a different point of view, and in this case from a pre-eminent point of view.

Thank you indeed!

Stilo is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SunMoon View Post
    Your work helps me really to see my words from a different point of view, and in this case from a pre-eminent point of view.

Thank you indeed!
    It's a pleasure . I do hope you get an interview. I don't know the position that you have applied for but you do have a good 'bag of skills' on paper. You need to sell your USP'S in the interview!!!!

Good luck

Stilo

George Anderson is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're applying for your job online I would advise using a standard CV template such as the free one at iProfile (iProfile - The Preferred CV Template. Write, post and control your CV - for free!). This way your application won't be reformatted online