Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    rutgurt is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Indonesian jobs?

I just graduated with my Bachelors. I have no certification but it seems that I have had no trouble finding well paid (about 20-25 thousand per year) teaching jobs in Korea and I am about ready to accept a contract but im hesitating. My problem is I have a real interest in Indonesia because Islamic History was my Major in college and I would rather stay in an Islamic country such as Indonesia where I can learn sufi-theology of the south-east asian area. I heard there are many jobs available in Indonesia that pay well, but I cant seem to find any as I guess they are not advertised as well as Korea. Can someone tell me the real story on this and what to expect??? Is it realistic for me, as someone with minimal experience (I volunteered for about 3 months teaching english to Sudanese refugees while i studied in Egypt) my chances of finding a well paid English teaching job in Indonesia and where do I go to find these??? I really only want to accept this English teaching contract in Korea as a last resort. I also would not mind teaching in the XinJiang province of China or somewhere in the middle-east besides Egypt or Saudi.

What do you guys recommend? Also, before you throw a bunch of acronyms at me and different certifications, please explain what they are or I will get really confused. I dont know what QTS is and all these different certifications. Would it be a good idea to first teach in Korea and get experience, or do you think its not out of question that I could easily get a well paid job in Indonesia for my first gig? thanks so much for your time and energy. Also pay does matter. I understand living is cheaper in Indonesia, but lots of contracts pay for housing anyway, and even if not, i live cheaply. My main concern is I have about $10,000 to pay back in student loans so pay does matter, not just the cost of living.

leemavila is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • Bermuda
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Indonesian jobs?

I think you should stay in Indonesia to teach English and study your interested subject since earning money is not your main objective

Post Thanks / Like

Ummm that did not answer my question. Also, i owe quite a bit in student loans, so unfortunately money is an issue as well. Also, i dont know where to find a job teaching English in Indonesia. The recruiters dont seem to be throwing themselves at me like they do for Korea. Im new to this. I dont even know how to get a job teaching English in china. Please, can I get a helpful response? thanks

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest you find a job at home teaching English as a Second Language, get rid of your student loan, and then start looking abroad.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I have heard, teaching in Indonesia is not especially well paid, though it may be fine with local costs. However, without certification or much experience, you will be towards the back of the queue. You should be able to find some work, but it is likely to be piecemeal. If you are in the right place at the right time, you may find a good place, but in all honesty, unqualified with next to no experience is really not that attractive a CV in a market that is awash with people with (alphabet spaghetti acronym) qualifications and experience. If you go off the beaten track away from the major urban areas, you will probably find more opportunities but they are unlikely to pay what you are asking.

Also, check out the schools in Korea very carefully- there are numerous blacklist sites of the hagwon and many tales- some people love it and stay for years, others find a huge gap between what is offered and what happens when they get there.

My version of the real story to expect- a few hours here and there in various schools, some filling in and a lot of time on public transport.

Post Thanks / Like

where do I go to see a list of blacklist schools? I want to make sure mine is not on it before i accept an english teaching contract.

What qualifications do you recommend for me to get some decent paid employment in Indonesia and get a good spot on the que? I really need to work in an Islamic country, as its what i studied in college and eventually in the distant future I would like to enroll in an Islamic Historical studies graduate program and I need experience living in more muslim countries.

Post Thanks / Like

also, is China just as easy to get a job as Korea? I would prefer China over Korea, especially if I could teach in the XinJiang Autonomous province in the west. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

If I were you, I would look for Indonesian jobs as hard as I can.
    Adapting to Korea migth be hard for foreigners.
    Plus, you are very interested in Indonesia
    If Indonesian job doesn't pay enoght to pay back your loan,
    you can have a side job there.
    Last edited by falling slowly; 12-Aug-2008 at 09:31.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm With Stupid is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

Taiwan apparently pays decent wages. I've seen jobs advertised on the internet offering $60,000 a month (Taiwanese dollars, don't get too excited), which is about $1900US. The ones I've seen require ELT qualifications, but I've heard of plenty of people getting work in Taiwan without qualifications.

Bear in mind that your salary doesn't necessarily reflect how much spare money you will save. You might end up struggling to get by saving $500 a month in Japan with no social life, for example, when you would save the same amount fairly comfortably in a country like Indonesia despite a lower salary. Research living costs and taxes before you decide. Also bear in mind that you will be a fairly well paid person in certain countries, and a fairly poorly paid person in others, which may affect the amount of tax you're paying.

You haven't mentioned Malaysia in your list of muslim countries. Probably with good reason tbh. I hear the pay is low and the tax is high. But it's probably worth checking out at least because it's a really interesting country. Also maybe check out Turkey, though I suspect they may be fairly strict about qualifications.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast