Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

    • Join Date: Mar 2005
    • Posts: 230
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Because Of Our Son

    Dear friends and Teachers,

    A. My marriage has fallen apart. You see, my husband of 3 years said that he was never in love with me and that he only married me for our son.

    - In my opinion "My marriage has fallen apart. You see, my husband of 3 years said that he HAS NEVER BEEN IN LOVE WITH ME and that he only married me BECAUSE OF our son" is so much better, correct?

    Thanks a million!

    NamSteven


    • Join Date: Aug 2008
    • Posts: 135
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Because Of Our Son

    your sentence is good but instead of saying my husband of 3 years change it to my husband for 3 years


    • Join Date: Aug 2008
    • Posts: 92
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Because Of Our Son

    Both are technically fine, to be honest. 'For our son's sake' gets rid of any ambiguity.

  1. Soup's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,892
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Because Of Our Son

    Quote Originally Posted by awatef View Post
    ... instead of saying 'my husband of 3 years' change it to my husband for 3 years
    It doesn't work.

  2. Soup's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,892
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Because Of Our Son

    Quote Originally Posted by namsteven View Post
    Dear friends and Teachers,

    A. My marriage has fallen apart. You see, my husband of 3 years said that he was never in love with me and that he only married me for our son.

    - In my opinion "My marriage has fallen apart. You see, my husband of 3 years said that he HAS NEVER BEEN IN LOVE WITH ME and that he only married me BECAUSE OF our son" is so much better, correct?
    I've a question. How old is the son? That is, does 'for our son' express the meaning suggested by monty mike for our son's sake (i.e., they got married after their son was born) or does it mean for a son (i.e., he married her because he wanted a child, a son)?

  3. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,873
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Because Of Our Son

    Quote Originally Posted by awatef View Post
    ...instead of saying my husband of 3 years change it to my husband for 3 years
    I don't see why... In Br English - at least - 'my husband of three years' is perfectly OK. You would say 'we have been married for three years', it's true, or 'He has been my husband for three years'. But in the context of 'my husband ... three years <verb>', 'of' is preferable (although you would use 'for' in other contexts: 'the man who had shared my bed for three years', for example).

    b

    PS awatef - and any other student who posts answers in this forum - please read the introductory note
    Last edited by BobK; 09-Aug-2008 at 00:03. Reason: Added PS

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 4,161
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Because Of Our Son

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I don't see why... In Br English - at least - 'my husband of three years' is perfectly OK. It's perfectly OK in North American English too.
    2006

  4. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,873
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Because Of Our Son

    I thought it was. But American teachers hadn't complained at the "correction" so I wondered.

    b

  5. Soup's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,892
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: Because Of Our Son

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    ... American teachers hadn't complained at the "correction" so I wondered.
    Aah, I see. That's because there isn't a difference there between the two dialects. (Please see post #4.)

  6. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,873
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: Because Of Our Son

    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    Aah, I see. That's because there isn't a difference there between the two dialects. (Please see post #4.)
    I hadn't noticed that.

    b

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •