• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France
    Post Thanks / Like

Default which grade can one become a teacher from?

To my own part, I will be in third year in law at a French university from September and cannot help me wondering from which grade can I become a teacher of a language.

Please bring your experience out in order for us to know how to become a teacher in your country - referring to UK, US, Australia, Canada and whatnot

Any help is taken.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: which grade can one become a teacher from?

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia View Post
    To my own part, I will be in third year in law at a French university from September and cannot help me wondering from which grade can I become a teacher of a language.

Please bring your experience out in order for us to know how to become a teacher in your country - referring to UK, US, Australia, Canada and whatnot

Any help is taken.
    You cannot teach a language in Australia with a law degree (at least in the public system).

philadelphia is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    You cannot teach a language in Australia with a law degree (at least in the public system).

In fact, this is a question that is there to help anyone interested in becoming a teacher.

Plus, I indeed know I cannot be teacher from law studies but if I would get an appropriate certificate/exams to teach - could I?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

if I would get an appropriate certificate/exams to teach - could I?
    That begs the question.
    In other words, if you get the appropriate certification to teach, then yes, in principle you can teach.
    But I'm not sure that having a law degree would help you in getting that certification.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    That begs the question.
    In other words, if you get the appropriate certification to teach, then yes, in principle you can teach.
    But I'm not sure that having a law degree would help you in getting that certification.

Which degree could one teach from? For instance, if a French wished to be a teacher of French in Australia/UK/US/Canada; how could she/he?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by philadelphia; 12-Aug-2008 at 14:52.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Which degree could one teach from? For instance, if a French wished to be a teacher of French in Australia/UK/US/Canada; how could she/he?

Thanks in advance
    OK, we all know that native speaking is not sufficient for teaching a language. You may speak French perfectly, but know nothing about the problems of its grammar - which is typical of native speakers of any language.
    So, you'd need a major in French language and literature; and you'd need teaching qualifications. You could probably do a 1 year postgrad DipEd, since you already have a degree. The situation in Australia is that language teaching doesn't start until grade 8; that's High School. And to be a High School teacher, you need two curriculum subjects. I would guess that to teach French in Australia, with your history, you'd need to spend another 2 years study.
    In any case, I'm afraid to say, we probably have as many French teachers as we need (maybe more), since Asian languages have become popular in Australian schools, and French and German, which were practically the only languages taught 30 years ago (apart from the classics) have become less popular.

I'm With Stupid is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

In the UK, you will be required to do a PGCE (Postgraduate Certificate in Education) to teach in a school. This is a year course that you do after you've completed a degree, but it focuses more on specific teaching practices, since it is expected that you already have a degree in a relevant subject. Most universities will offer the option to do a booster course for people who want to teach a subject which isn't their degree, which might be ideal for a native French speaker who wants to brush up on grammar.

In primary school (ages 5 to 11) you choose a PGCE course based on the age group you want to teach rather than the subject. You will be expected to teach all subjects. The government has a target to have all primary schools teaching a foreign language by 2010, so being a native speaker would give you an obvious advantage in this regard, provided you're willing to teach children more generally too. There are PGCEs in primary education with and without French. But there are no positions in UK primary schools for teachers of single subjects.

In secondary school (ages 11 to 16), you choose a PGCE based on the subject you want to teach. Most universities will offer single language PGCEs as well as ones that combine two or three languages. And the job opportunities will obviously be less for someone who can only teach one language. But here, you should look for a PGCE in Modern Languages, and the language(s) will usually be in brackets afterwards.

And of course it goes without saying that you will probably need a particular IELTS score to get a place on the course.

They also do what is called an Overseas Trained Teacher Programme, which is a course that allows you to convert any teaching qualifications into British ones without having to do the full PGCE. But that's mainly for experienced teachers. If you're starting out, it makes sense to train in the UK instead.

Anyway, becoming a teacher in the UK. And GTTR which have a full list of courses in the UK, and handle all applications onto PGCE courses. But if you're interested, find the course you want to do, and just email the professor to ask any questions. They're usually more than happy to help prospective students.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for answering it helps very much.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Any help is taken.
    Which language? On my CELTA course (one month, intensive) there was a French student. Yes, she made mistakes of grammar and pronunciation, but in many respects she was a better teacher than I was.

If you wanted to teach French in English schools I don't think it would matter what your qualifications were if you just wanted to be an assistante. All the assistantes I was taught by were studying English, but the main qualification is being a native speaker.

If you wanted to go further than that, and become a teacher with QTS ('Qualified Teacher status'), you would have to study at post-graduate level. Do a Google search for "PGCE" courses; PGCE is not the only route, but it would probably be the most appropriate after a first degree in another subject.

b