seancky2 Guest

Default College Entrance Essay

Hello and thanks for taking the time to help me.

I am currently a SR at a great high school in Indiana. I have been selected from my school to partake in a very interesting and wonderful opportunity. Indiana University has a program called "Groups". This program consists of students who 1. Their parents never went to college or 2. They fall in a low income category - I fall in category 1 and 2. Part of my requirement to take advantage is to write an essay. I have been searching online how to properly write one but I only come up with scam websites that want your money. I eventually came across this forum and thought I could ask how to "properly" write one (how long, proper format etc.).

The requirements of the essay are:
    1 Describe your educational goals, and discuss how the Groups Program will help you meet those goals.
    2 Explain what you feel are the unique challenges facing first-generation college students, and describe how the Groups Program will help you meet those challenges. Provide specific examples.
    3 Discuss significant events in your life and how you persevered.
    4 List any personal achievements and how you obtained them.
    5 List your participation in co-curricular activities in high school.

Thanks for your time and I will take any comments with great gratitude.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: College Entrance Essay

Quote Originally Posted by seancky2
    The requirements of the essay are:
    1 Describe your educational goals, and discuss how the Groups Program will help you meet those goals.
    2 Explain what you feel are the unique challenges facing first-generation college students, and describe how the Groups Program will help you meet those challenges. Provide specific examples.
    3 Discuss significant events in your life and how you persevered.
    4 List any personal achievements and how you obtained them.
    5 List your participation in co-curricular activities in high school.

Thanks for your time and I will take any comments with great gratitude.
    Well, you need to write. :D First talk about why you want to go to university, what you want to major in and why you chose that major. Second, talk about what you feel makes you different from a student whose family has attended univeristy, and the challenges you will face as a first-generation college student (e.g., role models, a support system, etc.). Then describe how the Groups Program will help you meet those challenges. Next, give an example of a difficult time in your life when you could have said, "To heck with this!" and given up but didn't. Instead, you kept on going; you perservered. After that, talk about things in your life that you achieved for yourself (e.g., passing a class that was really difficult, learning to accept difference, etc.), and how you did it (e.g., I found a tutor to help me, I volunteered in the burn unit at the local hospital). Lastly, give a list of all the school activites in which you participated. Describe the event and how you helped out.

All the best, :D