Thread: verbs

Unregistered Guest

Default verbs

Why is it incorrect to say he has went ?

knowwhat is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: verbs

Hi

I am usually be the one asking question, and this time, let me be the one answering a question

"Has went" is grammatically incorrect as "has" and "went" are both verb, and under normal circumstances is no more than one verb allowed in a simple sentence.

If you are trying to express a tense, for instance present prefect tense, then you have to change the 2nd verb into adj by making it into participial, then it will be changed from

went to gone

then it would be " he has gone"

but please be caution when using this sentence. Although it means he has left, it might also mean he "passed away"

Any teachers are welcome to correct my explanation

sarat_106 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Oriya
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: verbs

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Why is it incorrect to say he has went ?
    To make things clear let me explain the form of a verb and the corresponding helping verb. Here went is the past form of the verb 'go'. You can not use the helping verb 'has' with the past form. It has to be past participle form 'gone'. We can go a little deeper to understand better:"
    A verb indicates the time of an action, event or condition by changing its form and tense. The form indicates action and tense indicates time. A verb has four forms and three tenses. The four forms are (i) Infinite or base or dictionary form (ii) past (iii) present participle or “ing” form and (iv) past participle. Depending on the time frame each verb has three tenses. They are (i) present (ii) past and (iv) future. These are basic tenses and each basic tense has four tense forms which we use to describe different timing of an action. These are (i) simple (ii) progressive (iii) perfect and (iv) perfect progressive. Here examples of 12 tense forms are given using the verb – “Write”
    Tenses Simple Progressive Perfect Perfect progressive
    Present I write. I am writing I have written I have been writing
    Past I wrote. I was writing I had written I had been writing
    Future I will write. I will be writing I will have written I will have been writing
    It has to noted very carefully that we can not use different forms of a verb directly in a sentence except the base and past forms without an
    appropriate helping verb. Even the base form and past form are used to make only positive sentences in simple present and simple past respectively as indicated above. For negative and interrogative sentences you need helping verb “do/does’ and “did” respectively. It must be made clear that whenever we want to express some thing an appropriate Tense form is used. You can not say I going to office or I have go to office. The correct sentences are I am going to office or I have gone to office. But here also if it is a routine matter, the appropriate tense form to be used is present simple not continuous or perfect tense forms and the sentence is I go to office every day except Sundays and holidays. Please note the difference between form of a verb and Tense form of a verb.
    Tense form = Form of main verb +Appropriate helping verb."
    Last edited by sarat_106; 14-Aug-2008 at 16:18.