Post Thanks / Like

Synthesis: Principle of Population

Hello!

I just wrote another Synthesis on Essay of the Principle of Population by Thomas Malthus. In a lecture a Professor casts doubt on his model and I tried to summarize this. The result doesn't satisfy me, but I tried to stay in the timelimit of the Toefl-test.

Hope you can get my points and be so kind to proofread it.

Thank you!

"In the Essay of the Principle of Population, Thomas Malthus wrote in the late 1700s, problems resulting from population growth were shown.
    According to Malthus an exponential increasing number of people cannot be supplied by restricted needs like food or place to live. He determines diseases and wars as an effort to limit fast growing populations. As the author puts, poor and less educationed people try to improve their circumstances by a huge number of children, what in his mind leads to a worse situation in the end.
    In order to solve this problem, Thomas Malthus proposed that first world countries which already controled their birth rates should explain poor people that only low amount of children will be a longtherm solution for their problems.

The lecture contrasts the theorie of Thomas Malthus by presenting a natural sequence of population development. Whereas Malthus classified a population either as educationed or under-educationed, the professor describes five stages in population development.
    According to him every group of people starts poor with a high rate of birth. In the second state the quality of food and availability of medicine decreases the populations mortility. Afterwoords birth rates drop down in stage three, before they decline in stage four at a high level of education. In some areas like Europe the professor even determines a stage five where in due to birth rates at 1.7 per couple the number of people decreases."

susiedqq is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Synthesis: Principle of Population

"In the Essay of the Principle of Population, Thomas Malthus wrote in the late 1700s that problems resulting from population growth were shown.
    According to Malthus, an exponential increasing number of people cannot be supplied by restricted needs like food or places to live. He determines that diseases and wars are efforts to limit fast growing populations. As the author claims, poor and less educated people try to improve their circumstances by having large numbers of children, what, in his mind, leads to a worse situation in the end.

In order to solve this problem, Thomas Malthus proposes that first world countries, which already control their birth rates, should explain to poor people that producing low numbers of children will be a long-term solution for their problems.

The lecture contrasts the theory of Thomas Malthus by presenting a natural sequence of population development. Whereas Malthus classified a population either as educated or under-educated, the professor describes five Stages in population development.

According to him, all groups of people begin as poor, having a high rate of birth. In the Second stage, the quality of food and availability of medicine decreases the population mortality. Afterwards, birth rate declines in Stage Three, before declining in Stage Four with the population's high level of education. In some areas, such as Europe, the professor even determines a Stage Five, where, due to birth rates at 1.7 per couple, the number of people decreases."

Try making your sentences shorter. There is nothing wrong with short concise statements.