sara88 is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Our aim behind reading and listening to English

Hello friends.
    Please comment and if possible correct my essay.
    Our aim behind reading or listening to English

There are many ways to improve our language skills. The most important thing to know is to be aware of where your weaknesses lay. "Knowing that you are ignorant is your first step towards knowledge" as the saying goes. It's important to know the areas of the language you want to focus on in order to improve. For instance, try to give a piece of writing to different learners from various levels. After that you can ask them some questions in order to find out what was each one's point of interest while they were reading. You can then come up to the point that some learners were trying to get the main idea or the message from that passage. Others were may be concentrating on the way the writer uses the structures and expressions or in other words; the way words are put together. In addition, there can be someone else who's interested in grammar and punctuation…

You can find then that the more the learner's level is high, the more they are focusing on small details.

To sum up, we can say that in order to have a good grasp of the language, one should consider from the beginning where he/she have to look for and to work on more in their language skills. Knowing such hints can be useful for learners to have a quick progress in their learning process.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Our aim behind reading and listening to English

Quote Originally Posted by sara88 View Post
    Hello friends.
    Please comment and if possible correct my essay.

Our aim behind reading or listening to English

There are many ways to improve our language skills. The most important thing to know is to be aware is to know OR is to be aware of where your weaknesses lay lie. "Knowing that you are ignorant is your first step towards knowledge" as the saying goes. It's important to know the areas of the language you want to focus on in order to improve. For instance, try to give a piece of writing to different learners from various levels. After that you can ask them some questions in order to find out what was each one's point of interest while they were reading. You can then comeup with the point that some learners were trying to get the main idea or the message from that passage. Others were maybe concentrating on the way the writer uses grammatical structures and expressions or, in other words, the way words are put together. In addition, there can be someone else who's interested in grammar and punctuationů

You can find then [omit] that the more higher the learner's level, the more they are focusing on small details.

To sum up, we can say that in order to have a good grasp of the language, one should consider from the beginning where what he/she have has to look for and to work on more in developing their language skills. Knowing such hints can be useful for learners to have enable a quick progress in their learning process.

sara88 is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks a lot Anglika for your corrections. I just would like to know the level of this piece of writing. How can you grade it? Is it intermediate or advanced level,
    Thanks in advance.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not very experienced in grading, but I like your style a lot. Bravo! My main doubt about this essay is the title - which I imagine is not your fault! ("Aims" are not usually "behind" anything, unless you're talking about a 'hidden agenda' - when people try to hide their real aims. It would be better if you said 'Our aim in...')

b