Post Thanks / Like

Default help!! desperately in need for answer

please tell me what's the meaning of "worked quarters" in the following text.

But the manufacturers, particularly those in China, know how to skirt regulations, whether by keeping multiple sets of books, hiding cramped worked quarters, or contracting consultants to help them pass surprise inspections.
    Last edited by sanctuarylsw; 22-Aug-2008 at 06:42. Reason: typo

susiedqq is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: help!! desperately in need for answer

hiding cramped worked quarters

a "work quarter" is the area that a person performs his/her work. It may be at a desk or counter or in a factory. If this area is "cramped" it means that many workers are jammed into a small work area, making for very unpleasant working conditions. The owner of the company saves money by not having to pay for a larger office or factory.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your kind answer!
    But In my text it was "worked quarters" not "work quarters" or "working quarters" as you said. If it was "working quarters", I would think ,like you, it was a place for work. But it was "worked" and I thought it had something to do with (over-)time, not with place. For everybody's information, I attach the whole original text.
    Sorry if I didn't get the meaning, imposing you too much.

It's just for double-check! Thank you...

The overwhelming majority of Americans are horrified by reports of inhumane conditions in overseas factories. The U.S. itself has a proud tradition of unions and oversight boards that work to prevent such abuses as child labor, denial of overtime pay, exposure to toxic substances, and stiflingly hot working environments. Every day, immigrants cross the border for an opportunity to work hard in return for fairer, better-paying employment than they can find in their homelands.
    Nonetheless, even in the U.S., many violations slip past authorities. Remember the controversy about some Wal-Mart (WMT) stores locking in employees—a fire hazard—to make sure they didn’t steal? It’s no secret that illegal aliens, under the threat of deportation or violence, have been forced to toil at agricultural or sweatshop jobs. Just this May, it came to light that a number of families living in the U.S. were forcing immigrants into slavery, making them perform household chores for up to 16 hours a day without pay.
    That’s right, slavery on American soil, 144 years after the Emancipation Proclamation. With so many unscrupulous (and some downright evil) employers able to perpetrate injustices in the U.S., how can anyone expect American private enterprise to prevent them in foreign lands thousands of miles away? The Internet, video conferencing, and ease of trade rules notwithstanding, no one’s eyes can see that far.
    And the fact is, U.S. corporations are already making a noble effort, with minimum-wage and overtime agreements with overseas companies to which they outsource business. Nike (NKE), for example, recently made headlines with its pledge to crack down on abusive levels of OT at the 700 factories the shoemaker contracts with worldwide. And many other U.S. corporations set guidelines for humane working conditions, and conduct factory inspections.
    But the manufacturers, particularly those in China, know how to skirt regulations, whether by keeping multiple sets of books, hiding cramped worked quarters, or contracting consultants to help them pass surprise inspections (see BusinessWeek.com, 11/27/06, "Secrets, Lies, and Sweatshops"). Clearly, the local governments tasked with enforcing labor regulations have fallen down on the job; otherwise, abuses wouldn’t happen.
    [FONT='&#47569]Overseas factory workers deserve fair treatment 100% of the time. But the revolution must come from within. Corporate America simply cannot take responsibility for injustice taking place in other lands across the seven seas.[/FONT]

susiedqq is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

hiding cramped worked quarters

This still means the place where a person works. It has nothing to do with the work "quarters" of the year - a financial term used to measure the quarters of the year.

AS USED IN YOUR SENTENCE, "worked quarters" is either a typo or a term I am not familiar with.