• British English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Default feedback

Dear Moderators

I don't know whether this is the correct section to post my feedback. I hope so.

In the past, teachers usually answered my queries, but recently, I have been receiving replies to my queries from non-teachers. And the one answering should state he/she is a teacher. I notice that some do, but other don't.

I hope the above is not interpreted as a criticism, but rather as feedback. I would like to see teachers involved more often. If there is a reason why teachers are not so often involved in the replies nowadays, please let me know.

I also sense that sometimes a member gives a reply which I think is incorrect but no other member responded. I may be wrong in thinking that their replies are wrong, but it would be better if a teacher could confrim whether the answer is correct.

I hope my feedback is viewed positively and look forward to a response from a moderator.

Best regards

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: feedback

It is a reasonable request, but on an open forum of this kind, you do have to accept that non-teachers feel they have an answer. Other moderators/administrators may take a different view.

If you feel there has been an answer that is in some way not quite right, you are most welcome to question it and ask for clarification.

Often I look at a post and see that it has answered the question correctly, so see no need to make any comment. If it hasn't, I will try to put the correct answer in a polite way.

Jaskin is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Often I look at a post and see that it has answered the question correctly, so see no need to make any comment.
    I think it would be very useful if teachers could accredit the answer in some ways. For example an accrediting option available to teachers to make it quick. [quicker ] ?

Cheers,
    Last edited by Jaskin; 22-Aug-2008 at 11:41.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaskin View Post
    Hello,

I think it would be very useful if teachers could accredit the answer in some ways. For example an accrediting option available for teachers to make it quick. [quicker ] ?

Cheers,
    Surely it depends on the forum. In 'Ask a Teacher' respondents are implicitly teachers; it is the job of non-teachers to admit their status.

Besides, there is already an accreditation option. My profile says I'm a teacher. If some administrator sees a need to take that information and propagate it in some automated way to all my posts, I have no problem with that.

When I see students looking for an authoritative answer, and one of them has guessed right, I confirm it. And when someone whose profile claims they are a teacher gives a seemingly authoritative answer that I regard as wrong, I question it. (Also, I chose my avatar with accreditation in mind)

b

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Afterthought on the subject of 'accreditation'. There are sites where actual accreditation is required - registration takes weeks, snailmailing degree certificates and references. But, as Anglika said, this site isn't like that. 'You get what you pay for'; and to my mind this site gives the best value on the Internet.

b

Jaskin is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello again,
    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Surely it depends on the forum. In 'Ask a Teacher' respondents are implicitly teachers; it is the job of non-teachers to admit their status.

Besides, there is already an accreditation option. My profile says I'm a teacher. If some administrator sees a need to take that information and propagate it in some automated way to all my posts, I have no problem with that.

When I see students looking for an authoritative answer, and one of them has guessed right, I confirm it. And when someone whose profile claims they are a teacher gives a seemingly authoritative answer that I regard as wrong, I question it. (Also, I chose my avatar with accreditation in mind)

b
    I agree that is non-teachers responsibility to admit their status and it is clear when teathers give ansvers.
    But Angelika wrote she made no comments if she regarded the answer as correct. So it isn't obvious if she read the answer and thought it is correct or she missed the post.
    I just thougth about teachers/moderators precious time because confirming answers leaving a message takes time.
    I thought about automatic comment like : Angelika considers the answer as correct
    Cheers,
    Last edited by Jaskin; 22-Aug-2008 at 12:22.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

In my defense, I try to read as many posts as possible, but if the replier is someone whose contributions are trustworthy, I may pass over that post.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: feedback

Hi,

for whatever it is worth, I would suggest including the non-teacher info in the member's profile so that non-teachers who reply don't need to include that disclaimer in each posting they respond to. I mean this info (whether teacher/non-teacher) should be visible as other info (such as country and language) is visible in each post now.

Thanks

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by englishstudent View Post
    Hi,

for whatever it is worth, I would suggest including the non-teacher info in the member's profile so that non-teachers who reply don't need to include that disclaimer in each posting they respond to. I mean this info (whether teacher/non-teacher) should be visible as other info (such as country and language) is visible in each post now.

Thanks
    That's a good suggestion, but even that information is not mandatory.

SUDHKAMP is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Kannada
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the member type is enough to indicate whether a person is teacher or not, which appears in the credentials of the member alongwith number of posts.
    As far as whether a moderator or teacher has read the post, a simple arrangement can be made with the help of web designer that a moderator may put one or sign to show whether the post has been read and is approved by a moderator/teacher(or any other such similar arrangement). This applies to "ask a teacher" forum only and should not be applied to General Member's discussion or fun and games etc.