Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Adding -s

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,344
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Adding -s

    Are these correct? What do they mean?

    1. He lives on the streets. (How can you live on more then on street? Or does this mean he lives on different streets from time to time? How can you tell what does sentence mean?
    2. He lives on the street.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Adding -s

    Quote Originally Posted by jack
    Are these correct? What do they mean?

    1. He lives on the streets. (How can you live on more then on street? Or does this mean he lives on different streets from time to time? How can you tell what does sentence mean?
    2. He lives on the street.
    They mean the same thing. S/he doesn't live in a home. S/he is homeless. 'streets', not one specific street, this street and that street.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,344
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Adding -s

    Are these correct? What do these mean?

    1. Why don't you guys hold hands. (Why is 'hands' plural? Don't you hold 'a hand'?)
    2. Why don't you guys hold hand.

    3. Why don't you guys hold hands?
    4. Why don't you guys hold hand?

    What's the difference in meaing between the statement (#1) and the question (#3)? Does the statement mean that one is telling them to hold hands? And does the question mean that one is asking about why they are not holding hands?
    Last edited by jack; 24-Nov-2004 at 06:57.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Adding -s

    Quote Originally Posted by jack
    Are these correct? What do these mean?

    1. Why don't you guys hold hands. (Why is 'hands' plural? Don't you hold 'a hand'?)
    2. Why don't you guys hold hand.

    3. Why don't you guys hold hands?
    4. Why don't you guys hold hand?

    What's the difference in meaing between the statement (#1) and the question (#3)? Does the statement mean that one is telling them to hold hands? And does the question mean that one is asking about why they are not holding hands?
    They're all questions to me, sorry.

    2. and 4. are ungrammatical.

    One hand belongs to you, and one hand belongs to the other person, which makes two 'hands' in total.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,344
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Adding -s

    Thanks.

    One hand belongs to you, and one hand belongs to the other person, which makes two 'hands' in total.
    One hand belongs to you, and one hand belongs to the other person, which makes two 'hands' in total. (How come you used 'the'? Why not 'an'? How did you know which one to use?)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,344
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Adding -s

    http://www3.telus.net/superstar/user.jpg

    1. Switch user. (How is this correct?)
    Why isn't it:
    2. Switch users.

    For eg.:
    3. I want to change lane. (Incorrect)
    4. I want to change lanes. (Move from one lande to another; 1+1=2lanes.)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Adding -s

    Quote Originally Posted by jack
    http://www3.telus.net/superstar/user.jpg

    1. Switch user. (How is this correct?)
    Why isn't it:
    2. Switch users.
    I don't know, sorry.

    Sentence 4 is correct.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,344
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Adding -s

    Thanks.

    Maybe their next update will change that.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Adding -s

    You're welcome.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,344
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Adding -s

    http://www.jimmillersellshomes.com/t...s/wilton2.html

    Are these correct? If not, why? What do these mean?
    1. The total number of households is 1,410, with an average size of 2.7 persons. (Why isn't 'persons' 'people' or 'person'?)
    2. The total number of households is 1,410, with an average size of 2.7 people.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. adding ed
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 13-Dec-2004, 10:21
  2. Adding -ed
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 07-Dec-2004, 10:55
  3. adding -s
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 10-Nov-2004, 10:48
  4. adding -ing
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2004, 11:06
  5. Adding -ed and -s
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Sep-2004, 13:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •