Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    wace is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    353
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Those or That before amount of money

    Hi everyone! This is my very first post, so please bear with me!
    OK, here's my first question for all of you native speakers out there!
    I know that an amount of money can be followed by the singular or the plural depending on what the context is and what is actually meant.
    a) Two hundred dollars IS too much to pay for a shirt.
    b) Two hundred dollars WERE spread out on the table.
    Now, what if an amount of money is preceded by a demonstrative adjective:
    c) Those two hundred dollars were spent on...
    d) That two hundred dollars was spent on..
    Are they both correct, and, more importantly, does the same logic apply as in the above sentences (a,b)?
    Thanks for your help!

  2. #2
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    20,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Those or That before amount of money

    Quote Originally Posted by wace View Post
    Hi everyone! This is my very first post, so please bear with me!
    OK, here's my first question for all of you native speakers out there!
    I know that an amount of money can be followed by the singular or the plural depending on what the context is and what is actually meant.
    a) Two hundred dollars IS too much to pay for a shirt.
    b) Two hundred dollars WERE spread out on the table.
    Now, what if an amount of money is preceded by a demonstrative adjective:
    c) Those two hundred dollars were spent on...
    d) That two hundred dollars was spent on..
    Are they both correct, and, more importantly, does the same logic apply as in the above sentences (a,b)?
    Thanks for your help!
    Both are correct. Yes, the same logic applies.
    Specifically, you need to use "That ... is/was" and "Those ... are/were" no matter what you are referring to.

  3. #3
    wace is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    353
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Those or That before amount of money

    Thank you Raymott, that was quick!
    I have two more questions for you if you're still online:
    1) Do you pronounce the 's' in 'genres'?
    2) Would you say 'Last year he said he would have bought a new car but he didn't'?.
    Personally I would not. I'd say '...he said he would buy... but he didn't'
    The former sounds kind of awkward to me. Well, believe it or not I found this example in a Longman grammar book for Italian students.
    Can't wait to read your comment (or anyone else's of course!!)

  4. #4
    2006 is offline Banned
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    4,161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Those or That before amount of money

    Quote Originally Posted by wace View Post
    Thank you Raymott, that was quick!
    I have two more questions for you if you're still online:
    1) Do you pronounce the 's' in 'genres'? It's pronounced as a 'z'.
    2) Would you say 'Last year he said he would have bought a new car but he didn't'?. No, I certainly would not.
    Personally I would not. I'd say '...he said he would buy... but he didn't' I agree.
    The former sounds kind of awkward to me. awkward and wrong Well, believe it or not I found this example in a Longman grammar book for Italian students.
    Can't wait to read your comment (or anyone else's of course!!)
    2006

  5. #5
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    20,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Those or That before amount of money

    Quote Originally Posted by wace View Post
    Thank you Raymott, that was quick!
    You can be lucky. I guess it's like waiting for a train

    I have two more questions for you if you're still online:
    1) Do you pronounce the 's' in 'genres'? Yes /ʒɒnrəz/ (with a French zh, not a soft g /dzh/) But pronunciation of foreign words will differ in different places, and among different people. The 's' will almost always be pronounced.

    2) Would you say 'Last year he said he would have bought a new car but he didn't'?.
    Personally I would not. I'd say '...he said he would buy... but he didn't'
    The former sounds kind of awkward to me. Well, believe it or not I found this example in a Longman grammar book for Italian students.
    I believe it.
    Can't wait to read your comment (or anyone else's of course!!)
    'Last year he said he would have bought a new car but he didn't'
    No, I wouldn't say this. But what I would say depends on my intended meaning, and the facts. What did he actually say?
    If he said "I would have bought a new car", the sentence is right (though still ambiguous.
    If he said "I will buy a new car", I'd say "Last year he said he would buy a new car. But he didn't."
    If he said "If I had won the lottery, I would have bought a new car. But I didn't", I might say "Last year he said he would have bought a new car if he had won the lottery. But he didn't, so he didn't".

  6. #6
    wace is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    353
    Post Thanks / Like

    Should I pronounce the S after the apostrophe?

    Thanks Raymott.
    Actually my question was only about the use of the Present Conditional in the so-called Future-in-the-Past, which you and 2006 kindly confirmed.
    I had no doubts as to the use of the Past conditional in reported If clauses. Thanks very much all the same.
    One last question for today, if you've still got time:
    when I read a singular proper name ending in S with an apostrophe as in the possessive case, should I pronounce the S which is supposed to follow
    the apostrophe (but which isn't there simply because the writer chose not to add it) A bit confusing...
    Example: 'Phelps' past' Would you pronounce /felpsiz/?
    Again, I would, to mark a possessive case, but I know that native speakers can be extremely lazy and careless and may not pronounce the S after the apostrophe, because it's not there graphically or because in same cases it may be a bit of a mouthful to pronounce.
    Los Angeles's/New Orleans's/ Leeds's; would you ever write them like this, and more importanty HOW WOULD YOU PRONOUNCE THEM??
    What's your take on this issue?
    Thanks!!!

  7. #7
    wace is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    353
    Post Thanks / Like

    Should I pronounce the S after the apostrophe?

    Oooops, sorry: 'some cases' not 'same cases'

  8. #8
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    20,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Should I pronounce the S after the apostrophe?

    Quote Originally Posted by wace View Post
    Thanks Raymott.
    Actually my question was only about the use of the Present Conditional in the so-called Future-in-the-Past, which you and 2006 kindly confirmed.
    I had no doubts as to the use of the Past conditional in reported If clauses. Thanks very much all the same.
    One last question for today, if you've still got time:
    when I read a singular proper name ending in S with an apostrophe as in the possessive case, should I pronounce the S which is supposed to follow
    the apostrophe (but which isn't there simply because the writer chose not to add it) A bit confusing...
    Example: 'Phelps' past' Would you pronounce /felpsiz/? Yes

    Los Angeles's/New Orleans's/ Leeds's; would you ever write them like this, and more importanty HOW WOULD YOU PRONOUNCE THEM??
    What's your take on this issue?
    Thanks!!!
    I'd pronounce two Ss in each case. But that's not a rule.

  9. #9
    bhaisahab's Avatar
    bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    22,987
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Should I pronounce the S after the apostrophe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I'd pronounce two Ss in each case. But that's not a rule.
    I would pronounce one "s", but that's not a rule either. Oh, and I wouldn't pronounce the "s" in "genres", but that"s probably because I live in France and my wife is French.

  10. #10
    wace is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    353
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Those or That before amount of money

    To Raymott and bhaisahab.
    Thank you guys!

Similar Threads

  1. soft money
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22-Apr-2008, 07:36
  2. Accountability? (Not counting amount of money)
    By Stromgol in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-Jan-2008, 02:27
  3. could you please check my essay... (money sense)
    By chrisieck in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Oct-2007, 15:37
  4. money, money, money
    By Nefertiti in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Oct-2007, 13:35
  5. Money amount
    By zaed_salah in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25-May-2006, 05:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •