Unregistered Guest

Unhappy Teaching a five year old chinese girl

Hi!
    I was wondering if any of you could help me. I'm teaching a 5-year old chinese girl, but she already speaks English (and chinese, portuguese, and spanish), not to perfection, but she speaks it. My problem is that I tutor her for a first grade curriculum in a school in the US (we live in Paraguay, South America), one hour a day, every day. She goes to a a regular Paraguayan school in the morning, a chinese school in the afternoon, and at 6.30 pm we have class for an hour involving Math, Phonics, Science, Social Studies, Reading, etc., and we must try to keep a schedule for her foreign learning course. She doesn't like the classes, she's obviously tired of studying, so I don't know how to make her interested in anything besides the science experiments that we conduct. Her parents are convinced that she MUST do this, so I try to create some games, like bingo with words and memory since I have to also teach her reading, but it's really difficult to get her involved in anything, esp. since we have to keep up with the schedule. She is the youngest of three children, her older brothers are 11 and 9, if this will help anyone. So, to sum it all up, my basic question is how do I make it all more interesting for her?

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Teaching a five year old chinese girl

My first and instinctive reaction is poor little mite! Not much fun in all of that. Could you develop more in the way of playing and games in which language could be used?

RominaO is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Teaching a five year old chinese girl

Now I've registered! The problem is that we have to complete the exercise books that need to be sent to the US for their checkup. That's why we follow a schedule. I do do SOME games, but not very often for lack of time. Thus the problem. How can I make this little girl not dread the sight of her books? she is VERY intelligent, bright, but she just doesn't want to do anything anymore by the time it's my turn. Is there some way I can "inspire" her?

mwenglish is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Teaching a five year old chinese girl

Perhaps the girl is too young to learn so much. Since she is Chinese, you can tell her some Chinese folktales, such as:

Pangu Separates the Sky from the Earth
    The sky and the earth were at first one blurred entity like an egg. Pangu was born into it. The separation of the sky and the earth took eighteen thousand years-the yang which was light and pure rose to become the sky, and the yin which was heavy and murky sank to form the earth. Between them was Pangu, who went through nine changes every day, his wisdom greater than that of the sky and his ability greater than that of the earth. Every day the sky rose ten feet higher, the earth became ten feet thicker, and Pangu grew ten feet taller. Another eighteen thousand years passed, and there was an extremely high sky, an extremely thick earth, and an extremely tall Pangu. Then came the Three Emperors.
    So these numbers came into existence and evolve like this. The numb or begins with one, becomes established at three, is completed at five, prospers at seven, and ends in nine. So the sky is ninety thousand li from the earth.
    from yi wen lei ju (Classified Anthology of Literary Works)

Source: WWW.1001english.com

You may promise her one story a day after other lessons.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Teaching a five year old chinese girl

You can try some of these sites and see if they have anything: Young Learners - ESL Web Directory - UsingEnglish.com
    But I can only agree with Anglika; it sounds like far too much for a child of her age.