thortess is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

ESL position with only colllege?

I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a legitimate ESL position/website that would accept me to teach ESL with only a college degree, and not a University teacher's certificate, as many of them seem to require. My college diploma is for Broadcasting Journalism, Radio and Television. I have always been told that I have strong language skills, and would be a good English teacher. thanks for any help :)

bhaisahab is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ESL position with only colllege?

Quote Originally Posted by thortess View Post
    I apologize if this is in the wrong section. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a legitimate ESL position/website that would accept me to teach ESL with only a college degree, and not a University teacher's certificate, as many of them seem to require. My college diploma is for Broadcasting Journalism, Radio and Television. I have always been told that I have strong language skills, and would be a good English teacher. thanks for any help :)
    If you do a TEFL course, that, along with your degree, should qualify you to teach ESL in most countries.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    If you do a TEFL course, that, along with your degree, should qualify you to teach ESL in most countries.
    Yes I agree, as English teachers TEFL is sometimes better than an university degree. But it does not mean you have no chance if you are native English speaker and have a open attitude.

ICAL_Pete is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like

Being certified will certainly make you more marketable but, perhaps more importantly, it will prepare you for the job. TESL/TEFL courses offer a great training opportunity at entry level. They can provide a thorough grounding in a new career and the right tools to approach a new profession.

With regards to the need for a degree, this is often a requirement of the countries and their visa regulations and it is not necessarily a requirement of the institute that hires you. This is especially true in Asian countries.