Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question How to get rid off your foreign accent and speak like a native?

That's an intriguing question. Please tell me your experience. I am gladly to hear from you.

CJ 4 life is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to get rid off your foreign accent and speak like a native?

Quote Originally Posted by hugsandkisses View Post
    That's an intriguing question. Please tell me your experience. I am gladly to hear from you.
    There is only one way: imitate the native pronunciation, by playing videogames in English (like I did) and watching a lot of movies in English, then you repeat some phrases or sentences and the job's almost done. It ain't easy though, cause it takes a lotta practise, and if you really wanna do better, you have to spend some time living with the person who speak the accent of English you wanna learn. However you can achieve a good result staying at home too...

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CJ 4 life View Post
    There is only one way: imitate the native pronunciation, by playing videogames in English (like I did) and watching a lot of movies in English, then you repeat some phrases or sentences and the job's almost done. It ain't easy though, cause it takes a lotta practise, and if you really wanna do better, you have to spend some time living with the person who speak the accent of English you wanna learn. However you can achieve a good result staying at home too...
    Hi, what's the attraction in using lotta, gonna and wanna in an otherwise good piece of written English? Or rather, what effect are you trying to achieve, other than to debase our language on a site which tries to teach good standard English?
    Anyone else who does it is welcome to answer as well!

CJ 4 life is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Hi, what's the attraction in using lotta, gonna and wanna in an otherwise good piece of written English? Or rather, what effect are you trying to achieve, other than to debase our language on a site which tries to teach good standard English?
    Sorry, it just came out like that. I won't do that any () more.

stuartnz is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

I am fairly certain "lotta, gotta, wanna", etc. will be good Standard English, but hopefully not until after I've shuffled off this mortal coil. Of course, even that use of "hopefully" will be upsetting to some, but it has cemented its place as the standard usage now.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stuartnz View Post
    I am fairly certain "lotta, gotta, wanna", etc. will be good Standard English, but hopefully not until after I've shuffled off this mortal coil. Of course, even that use of "hopefully" will be upsetting to some, but it has cemented its place as the standard usage now.
    Of course, I know the language will change. It's even possible that SMS talk like u, r, ur, etc. will replace various words; all apostrophes in it's, you're etc. will become redundant; they're, their and there will all use "there", capitalisation of "i" and the first letter of a sentence will be optional; punctuation will become optional, and freestyle when it's used.
    Given that English is now an International lingua franca, it's possible that it will become an international pidgin for those who don't want to learn or use the standard language.
    However, ever time a non-native speaker uses sub-standard ghetto-constructions in otherwise good English, I'm not sure whether they realise that it's not the sort of thing you'd write if you were trying to write a good English sentence. Also it gives the impression to other learners that it's normal; and that's why I challenged it - and probably will periodically continue to do so while I'm on a site that encourages the use of Standard English.

stuartnz is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course, I know the language will change. It's even possible that SMS talk like u, r, ur, etc. will replace various words; all apostrophes in it's, you're etc. will become redundant; they're, their and there will all use "there", capitalisation of "i" and the first letter of a sentence will be optional; punctuation will become optional, and freestyle when it's used.
    Given that English is now an International lingua franca, it's possible that it will become an international pidgin for those who don't want to learn or use the standard language.
    However, ever time a non-native speaker uses sub-standard ghetto-constructions in otherwise good English, I'm not sure whether they realise that it's not the sort of thing you'd write if you were trying to write a good English sentence. Also it gives the impression to other learners that it's normal; and that's why I challenged it - and probably will periodically continue to do so while I'm on a site that encourages the use of Standard English.

I agree with most of this, except for the pejoratives "sub-standard" and "ghetto". I would say simply "non-standard", since there was a time when features like punctuation and rigidly prescribed orthorgraphy were also non-standard. My personal peeve, which I'm convinced is a lost cause, is the increasing use of "loose" for "lose". I definitely do agree that use of non-standard constructions should be pointed out in fora such as these, for the benefit of learners.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with most of this, except for the pejoratives "sub-standard" and "ghetto". I would say simply "non-standard", since there was a time when features like punctuation and rigidly prescribed orthorgraphy were also non-standard. My personal peeve, which I'm convinced is a lost cause, is the increasing use of "loose" for "lose". I definitely do agree that use of non-standard constructions should be pointed out in fora such as these, for the benefit of learners.
    Don't start me on "loose"!

Post Thanks / Like

I think George Orwell has clearly explained that the decadence of the English is due to the outrageous political language.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that language a reflection or the driving force of this decadence?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast