Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
That means so much to me or That means so much for me.

Here is my sentence: I have spent many nice moments with you and that means so much to me.

First of all, I find both correct because they have got each one a meaning pretty different.

Next, the explanation of that difference:
- Why would it be to me? For I would see those moments as something nice, to my own part. That is my point of view.
- Why would it also be for me? Because those moments were greats for me. They brought much for me, I enjoyed myself.

Finally, what do you think of it? Is it correct to use both or not?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It is correct to use both 'for me' and 'to me', and your understanding of the difference is not far wrong. I would use 'to me' when 'to' was part of the idea 'meant to' -"me" being the object; I would use 'for me' when the idea 'for me' introduces a complement: 'It would mean a lot for me to have the support of your company'.

Others may disagree, and I may change my mind! But I can't imagine any grounds for supposing that either phrase is 'wrong'.

b

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
It is correct to use both 'for me' and 'to me', and your understanding of the difference is not far wrong. I would use 'to me' when 'to' was part of the idea 'meant to' -"me" being the object; I would use 'for me' when the idea 'for me' introduces a complement: 'It would mean a lot for me to have the support of your company'.

Others may disagree, and I may change my mind! But I can't imagine any grounds for supposing that either phrase is 'wrong'.

b

Your explanation of it is definitely helful. Thank you, BobK!

Status
Not open for further replies.