• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default spring break

Dear teachers,

I have come across the expressions such as 'reading week' and 'spring break' but can't find the meaning in the dictionaries. From the expression I can guess that reading week is a week during which some people for example students should read some book assigned by their teachers. Spring break can mean a week that students don't go to school and they can travel around the country or abroad. Could you please kindly tell me if it is right or not?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: spring break

Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Dear teachers,

I have come across the expressions such as 'reading week' and 'spring break' but can't find the meaning in the dictionaries. From the expression I can guess that reading week is a week during which some people for example students should read some books assigned by their teachers. Spring break can mean a week that students don't go to school and they can travel around the country or abroad. Could you please kindly tell me if it is right or not?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    You're right.

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

:D
    Thank you for your help.

Best wishes,

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Dear teachers,

I have come across the expressions such as 'reading week' and 'spring break' but can't find the meaning in the dictionaries. From the expression I can guess that reading week is a week during which some people for example students should read some books assigned by their teachers. Spring break can mean a week that students don't go to school and they can travel around the country or abroad. Could you please kindly tell me if it is right or not?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    You're right.

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome. :D

Natalie27 Guest

Dear teachers,

I have come across the expressions such as 'reading week' and 'spring break' but can't find the meaning in the dictionaries. From the expression I can guess that reading week is a week during which some people for example students should read some book assigned by their teachers. Spring break can mean a week that students don't go to school and they can travel around the country or abroad. Could you please kindly tell me if it is right or not?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    Spring break in USA and Canada usually takes place before Easter and it's a disctrict wide time off for kids generally in March or April. Kids don't go to school during that time.
    There is also a winter break..leading up to Christams and a little bit after that. Children go back to school after the New Year's.
    Finally there is a summer break as well - summer holidays....usually about two months long.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Natalie,

Thank you very much for your explanation. I am curious about the usage of 'break'. In winter and summer we call them vacation. Do you mean I can also use the word 'break' instead of 'vacation'? Or we use 'break' to refer to short vacation?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie27
    Dear teachers,

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    Spring break in USA and Canada usually takes place before Easter and it's a disctrict wide time off for kids generally in March or April. Kids don't go to school during that time.
    There is also a winter break..leading up to Christams and a little bit after that. Children go back to school after the New Year's.
    Finally there is a summer break as well - summer holidays....usually about two months long.

Natalie27 Guest

Dear Natalie,

Thank you very much for your explanation. I am curious about the usage of 'break'. In winter and summer we call them vacation. Do you mean I can also use the word 'break' instead of 'vacation'? Or we use 'break' to refer to short vacation?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    Dear teachers,

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Summer vacation is in fact a longer summer break. Same thing but we tend to call it summer vacation. You are probably right about the length of "vacation" and "break"...a winter/spring break is usually only two or two and a half weeks long while summer vacation is over two months long.
    Kids are spoiled here because on top of all that they have a number of "Pro-D days" which means "Professional Development days" designed for teachers to get together and discuss their own issues ( quite a few of those days actually). Then they have Parent-Teacher interview days (elementary and high schools); there is a semester turn around period during which kids have another 3 days off (high schools, usually the end of January, beginning of February), and also, at the end of the school year there are "in school" provincial exams for all grades but kids who are not scheduled for those exams on a particualar day can simply go home.
    Well, that's in a nutshell. Bottom line is kids get to stay home a lot. :mad:

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Natalie,
    Thank you so much for your further explanation. It's so interesting!

Best wishes,

Jiang
    Dear Natalie,

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    Dear teachers,

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Summer vacation is in fact a longer summer break. Same thing but we tend to call it summer vacation. You are probably right about the length of "vacation" and "break"...a winter/spring break is usually only two or two and a half weeks long while summer vacation is over two months long.
    Kids are spoiled here because on top of all that they have a number of "Pro-D days" which means "Professional Development days" designed for teachers to get together and discuss their own issues ( quite a few of those days actually). Then they have Parent-Teacher interview days (elementary and high schools); there is a semester turn around period during which kids have another 3 days off (high schools, usually the end of January, beginning of February), and also, at the end of the school year there are "in school" provincial exams for all grades but kids who are not scheduled for those exams on a particualar day can simply go home.
    Well, that's in a nutshell. Bottom line is kids get to stay home a lot. :mad: