Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. aissa amina's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Algeria
      • Current Location:
      • Algeria

    • Join Date: Jul 2008
    • Posts: 70
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    the frequent use of would

    hi, every body
    i want to know the account for the frequent use of"would"in the following passage:
    "i admired the fact that he would confer with students outside of the classroom or talk with them on the telephone,he would easily make friends with students .sometimes he would challenge a student to a game of chess .At other times ,he would join groupes to discuss subjects ranging from astronomy to scuba diving..."
    from American English Rhetoric

  2. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: the frequent use of would

    I don't know why you would consider the use of "would" in that paragraph a mistake. However, there are errors in that paragraph. Can you find them?


  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: the frequent use of would

    Quote Originally Posted by aissa amina View Post
    hi, every body
    i want to know the account for the frequent use of"would"in the following passage:
    "i admired the fact that he would confer with students outside of the classroom or talk with them on the telephone,he would easily make friends with students .sometimes he would challenge a student to a game of chess .At other times ,he would join groupes to discuss subjects ranging from astronomy to scuba diving..."
    from American English Rhetoric
    The only reason it's used frequently is that it is necessary when describing each thing he would do, and the speaker has decided to tell about a lot of things we would do. In speech, some of these "he woulds" would almost certainly be contracted to "he'd".

    By the way, I hope you don't me asking you a question that's been puzzling me. A lot of Arabic speakers put the period and comma before the next word instead of after the last word, and leave out necessary spaces almost at random. Is this what you are taught? Or don't they teach you about punctuation. It surprises me because, otherwise, the English is pretty good, and the punctuation errors are very basic.
    Thanks.

  4. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: the frequent use of would

    Aissa amina, Raymott has pointed out some of the errors. Can you find the rest?


  5. aissa amina's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Algeria
      • Current Location:
      • Algeria

    • Join Date: Jul 2008
    • Posts: 70
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: the frequent use of would

    Quote Originally Posted by aissa amina View Post
    hi, every body
    i want to know the account for the frequent use of"would"in the following passage:
    "I admired the fact that he would confer with students outside of the classroom or talk with them on the telephone.Hewould easily make friends with students. Sometimes he would challenge a student to a game of chess. At other times, he would join groupes to discuss subjects ranging from astronomy to scuba diving..."
    from American English Rhetoric
    and now are there other mistakes?

  6. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: the frequent use of would

    Quote Originally Posted by aissa amina View Post
    And now are there other mistakes?
    Yes, and I want you to find as many as you can.


  7. aissa amina's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Algeria
      • Current Location:
      • Algeria

    • Join Date: Jul 2008
    • Posts: 70
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: the frequent use of would

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Yes, and I want you to find as many as you can.

    Hi Roben
    I did't find them .Would you help me please?

  8. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: the frequent use of would

    Quote Originally Posted by aissa amina View Post
    hi, every body
    i want to know the account for the frequent use of"would"in the following passage:
    "i admired the fact that he would confer with students outside of the classroom or talk with them on the telephone,he would easily make friends with students .sometimes he would challenge a student to a game of chess .At other times ,he would join groupes to discuss subjects ranging from astronomy to scuba diving..."
    from American English Rhetoric
    Hi, every body! Iwant to know the reason for the frequent use of "would" in the following passage:
    "I admired the fact that he would confer with students outside of the classroom or talk with them on the telephone. He would easily make friends with students. Sometimes he would challenge a student to a game of chess. At other times, he would join groups to discuss subjects ranging from astronomy to scuba diving..."
    from American English Rhetoric

    Capitalize words at the beginning of sentences. Place a period (not a comma) at the end of a sentence. (A period in BrE is called a full stop.) The end of a sentence gets an end mark (period (full stop), question mark, exclamation mark). Watch out for comma splices (the use of a comma when there should be a period (full stop). Always capitalize the word I.


  9. aissa amina's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Algeria
      • Current Location:
      • Algeria

    • Join Date: Jul 2008
    • Posts: 70
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: the frequent use of would

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Hi, every body! Iwant to know the reason for the frequent use of "would" in the following passage:
    "I admired the fact that he would confer with students outside of the classroom or talk with them on the telephone. He would easily make friends with students. Sometimes he would challenge a student to a game of chess. At other times, he would join groups to discuss subjects ranging from astronomy to scuba diving..."
    from American English Rhetoric

    Capitalize words at the beginning of sentences. Place a period (not a comma) at the end of a sentence. (A period in BrE is called a full stop.) The end of a sentence gets an end mark (period (full stop), question mark, exclamation mark). Watch out for comma splices (the use of a comma when there should be a period (full stop). Always capitalize the word I.

    Thanks a lot RonBee.I really apprciate your help.

  10. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: the frequent use of would

    I forgot:
    Always space after an end mark (period (full stop), question mark, exclamation mark).

Similar Threads

  1. frequent question by pupils
    By carlebo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21-Jul-2008, 15:11
  2. attend and frequent
    By jctgf in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21-Apr-2008, 00:02
  3. Fiona made frequent trips to the store
    By angliholic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 13-Dec-2007, 06:13
  4. Frequent British accent/dialect?
    By jasonk in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-Sep-2004, 00:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •