Thread: Disputable

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Disputable

Is there any differences? Is there any difference? Are there any differences? Are there any difference?
    I opine that Is there any difference? and Are there any differences? are the most correct in the formal grammar of the modern English language.
    What is your opinion?

dif•fer•ence /dfrns/ noun
    1 [C, U] ~ (between A and B)| ~ (in sth) the way in which two people or things are not like each other; the way in which sb/sth has changed: There are no significant differences between the education systems of the two countries. He was studying the complex similarities and differences between humans and animals. There’s no difference in the results. She noticed a marked difference in the children on her second visit. I can never tell the difference (= distinguish) between the twins There’s a world of difference between liking someone and loving them. What a difference! You look great with your hair like that.

any /eni/ det., pron., adv.
    det.
    1 used with uncountable or plural nouns in negative sentences and questions, after if or whether, and after some verbs such as prevent, ban, forbid, etc. to refer to an amount or a number of sth, however large or small: I didn’t eat any meat. Are there any stamps? I’ve got hardly any money. You can’t go out without any shoes. He forbids any talking in class. She asked if we had any questions. In positive sentences some is usually used instead of any: I’ve got some paper if you want it. It is also used in questions that expect a positive answer: Would you like some milk in your tea?

Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, Oxford University Press, 7th Edition, 2005
    Last edited by WilhelmFriedrichJonson; 16-Sep-2008 at 23:11. Reason: Negligence

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Disputable

Welcome to the forums.

I doubt that anyone would disagree. What led to you asking about this?

Post Thanks / Like

The current modern English grammar should be divided into formal grammar and informal grammar.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you suggesting that students should be taught two forms of grammar? That there is a formal grammar and an informal grammar is well recognised but for international communication formal grammar allows greater chance of comprehension than informal grammar would.

Post Thanks / Like

The modern English language is not accurately or correctly used by many Homo sapiens sapiens in the application and communication in a formal and learned fashion. Although many of the university students and graduates have a good command of the modern English language, nevertheless, they use some informal syntax, incorrect forms of a word (morphology), and vocabulary.
    Last edited by WilhelmFriedrichJonson; 16-Sep-2008 at 23:16.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WilhelmFriedrichJonson View Post
    The modern English language is not accurately or correctly used by many Homo sapiens sapiens in the application and communication in a formal and learned fashion. Although many of the university students and graduates have a good command of the modern English language, nevertheless, they use some informal syntax, incorrect forms of a word (morphology), and vocabulary.
    We all know that. We try to teach proper Standard English here.
    What else would you like us to do about it?

By the way it's not only Homo sapiens sapiens who have trouble with English. My 2 cats are hopeless! But sometimes I think they just don't want to understand!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Some of the animals can understand a particular human language, nevertheless, the lexical items can not be pronounced by those animals. They use their own languages which Homo sapiens sapiens can not understand, but that can be comprehended by the same species.