Maluues is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Man(human) man(male) men (plural) and the definite article...+adverbs

Good evening.

Today I have read a text about the Elizabethan Worldview.
    I wouldn't say that the text is difficult but there is one problem I have got.
    There are many passages which include the vocabulary "man".
    Normally this wouldn't disturb me but let's take a look at the following example:

"Man was a mediator between himself and the universe."

Man can mean a male person. The plural would be men.
    Man can also mean a human. The plural would be men,too.

I would say that in the example given above "man" has the same meaning as human.
    If so why wouldn't I say "The man was a mediator between himself and the universe"?

Is "man" generalized in the example given above?

Second question: realistic /realistically

The trumpet sounds realistically. (realistic is connected to the verb so I have to use an adverb, or not? Should I say "The trumpet sounds realistic? I am confused just right now... :( )

He played Macbeth realistically.

Is this house realistic?

Wile the adjective has no L the adverb exists only with two Ls. Normally an adverb would only have two Ls when the basic form ends with one L, wouldn't it?

I would be very grateful if you could help me.

Best wishes Maluues

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Man(human) man(male) men (plural) and the definite article...+adverbs

Quote Originally Posted by Maluues View Post
    Good evening.

Today I have read a text about the Elizabethan Worldview.
    I wouldn't say that the text is difficult but there is one problem I have got.
    There are many passages which include the vocabulary "man".
    Normally this wouldn't disturb me but let's take a look at the following example:

"Man was a mediator between himself and the universe."

Man can mean a male person. The plural would be men.
    Man can also mean a human. The plural would be men,too. Man in this sense is uncountable. It means the human race as a whole.

I would say that in the example given above "man" has the same meaning as human.
    If so why wouldn't I say "The man was a mediator between himself and the universe"?

Is "man" generalized in the example given above?

Second question: realistic /realistically

The trumpet sounds realistically. (realistic is connected to the verb so I have to use an adverb, or not? Should I say "The trumpet sounds realistic? I am confused just right now... :( ) This is an unlikely concept - how can a trumpet sound unrealistic or unrealistically?

He played Macbeth realistically.

Is this house realistic? In what sense do you mean? Is the house one that is overpriced or a house that is so weird that its reality is questionable?

Wile the adjective has no L the adverb exists only with two Ls. Normally an adverb would only have two Ls when the basic form ends with one L, wouldn't it?

I would be very grateful if you could help me.

Best wishes Maluues