• Post Thanks / Like

Dover Beach (crtisim for a poem)

Hello My teachers, Can you check please this essay about criticizing a poem? I want to check how good the language is and the phrasing, also the spelling. Thank you

Dover Beach

Dover Beach is one of the most known poems by Matthew Arnold. He focused on the change in human faith. Here he tries to make people think of the need of faith, and how we as human being have compensate faith for materials. He used some plural pronouns such as "we" and "us" to make his audience part of the situation her describes in the poem.

The poem illustrates the contrast between seen and real. More over he talks about the faith and how it's becoming worse. This poem takes place in Dover beach during Victorian era. In this time people start questioning the existence of God. The poet in this poem tries to answer the questions he and others faced.
    This poem carries sad emotions in away to touch the readers’ hearts and their feelings. Arnold used some words to express unhappy feelings such as "sadness", "misery", "drawing roar" and "melancholy". This use of words creates melancholy in me and makes me sympathize with him.
    In this poem the main character is the human being. Human life is changing and the human being is the one who makes these changes. so the human morals are changing along with the change they make. This makes the human an enemy of himself. In my opinion the poet is confused because he has a conflict between the seen and the real. There are words from the poem to prove my opinion: in the third stanza "So various, so beautiful, so new, Hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light".
    Arnold presents the sea as a metaphor of faith, which once covered all the Earth. that helped him to describe how the faith should be important in our lives. He also used the repetition of the word “nor” in the third stanza to produce a series of denials, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain. This style and choice of words helped him to create a musical mood.
    In Dover Beach the conflict between conception and reality is so clear. And we can see in the third stanza the climax of the conflict as a friction between faith and reality or the truth and reality. Arnold didn't solve the problem in his poem. To him it was enough to express his understanding of the world he lives in.

Matthew Arnold gives his audience a wise message that life should bebetter through faith. Everyone needs flame to light the darkness and that every conscience needs a whisper to know what is right.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Dover Beach (crtisim for a poem)

Hi! I'm not a teacher.

As a non-native speaker, your analysis about the poem is pretty good in my view.

- Please double check your tenses in your article again, especially, the words I hightlighted in red. You alternated present tense and past tense now and then.

- I am afraid you might not really understand the sentiment of the poet. I'd suggest you read the poem time and again until you really understand each word, and each verse, eg. Sophocles, the poet meant to. Of course, beauty is in the eye of beholder. There's no standard key to a poem. You can interpret it in your own way.

- Here's an analysis I searched from Wikipedia as below URL link directs. Please remember that it just helps you to understand the poem better, copy other people's work completely or any part of it under another name that will be considered as plagiarism. You do should hold your own opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dover_Beach

- You can put it up again for teachers' suggestions after your revision.

I am a non-native speaker. I am not sure my comment is correct or appropriate completely so it is just for your reference only.

Quote Originally Posted by Machboos View Post
    Hello My teachers, Can you check please this essay about criticizing a poem? I want to check how good the language is and the phrasing, also the spelling. Thank you

Dover Beach

Dover Beach is one of the most well- known poems by[add: because readers might ask who he was] English poet Matthew Arnold. He focused on the change in human faith. Here he tries to make people think of the need of faith, and how we as human being have compensate faith for materials. He used some plural pronouns such as "we" and "us" to make his audience part of the situation her [her or his?] describes in the poem.

The poem illustrates the contrast between seen and real. More over he talks about the faith and how it's becoming worse. This poem takes place in Dover beach [Beach] during Victorian era. In this time people start questioning the existence of God. The poet in this poem tries to answer the questions he and others faced.
    [Leave a space between the paragraphs]
    This poem carries sad emotions[emotion] in away to touch the readers’ hearts and their [delete]feelings. Arnold used some words to express unhappy feelings such as "sadness", "misery", "drawing roar" and "melancholy". This use of words creates melancholy in me and makes me sympathize with him.
    In this poem the main character is the human being. Human life is changing and the human being is the one who makes these changes. so [capitalise "so"] the human morals are changing along with the change they make. This makes the human an enemy of himself. In my opinion the poet is confused because he has a conflict between the seen and the real. There are words from the poem to prove my opinion: in the third stanza "So various, so beautiful, so new, Hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light".
    Arnold presents the sea as a metaphor of faith, which once covered all the Earth. that[That] helped him to describe how the faith should be important in our lives. He also used the repetition of the word “nor” in the third stanza to produce a series of denials, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain. This style and choice of words helped him to create a musical mood.
    In Dover Beach the conflict between conception and reality is so clear. And we can see in the third stanza the climax of the conflict as a friction between faith and reality or the truth and reality. Arnold didn't solve the problem in his poem. To him it was enough to express his understanding of the world he lives in.

Matthew Arnold gives his audience a wise message that life should bebetter through faith. Everyone needs flame to light the darkness and that every conscience needs a whisper to know what is right.
    Last edited by thedaffodils; 21-Sep-2008 at 03:44.