Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: daddy?

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: daddy?

Quote Originally Posted by Taka
    I saw people in the Yankee Stadium showing boards to Pedro Martinez saying "Who is your daddy?"

What is the implication behind the question?
    CNN did a 3 minute blurb on this two days ago. The reporter asked the fans why they were wearing "Who's your daddy?" T-shirts and sporting "Who's your daddy?" caps and signs. The answer: 'daddy' refers to sugar-daddy: a man who lavishes monetary gifts (material goods and cash) on a woman, but in baseball, the monetary gift refers to 'salary':

Q: Who's your daddy? (i.e., Who pays your salary?)
    A: We do, the ticket holders, so you better win the game or else we won't be buying any more tickets; And if we stop buying tickets, you won't get the $$ salary you're getting now!

Psst. Who's your daddy, Taka?

homophones

• Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that was a tough one!

FRC

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like
    I've finally come up with this. It should be the answer:

This is disturbing. From Pedro Martinez after the game last night (in Dan Shaughnessy's Boston.com column today):

"What can I say? I just tip my hat and call the Yankees my daddy," said a frustrated Pedro after manager Terry Francona left him in too long in the eighth inning (sound like anyone you remember?). "I can't find a way to beat them at this point. You just have to give them credit and say, `Hey, you guys beat me, not my team.' I wish they would [expletive] disappear and never come back. I'd like to face any other team right now. To pitch a good game, make good pitches and still can't beat them. It's frustrating."

This was a night when the Sox were unofficially eliminated in the AL East (they trail by 5 1/2 games with nine to play), and it marked the latest in a series of disappointments for Martinez against the Yankees. Losing for the third straight game for the first time since 1998, he blew a 3-2 lead, then blew a 4-3 lead in the eighth. It was the 1918th regular-season game between these teams and the Red Sox are now 11-19 (including postseason) in games Martinez starts against the Bombers.
    "How many times am I going to have a lead and let it go?" he asked. "It's all me. It's all me. You work so hard and you continue to lose and give it up. It's stupid. It's frustrating."

What does this mean? What does he mean? What the hell is going on here?
    I won't pretend to try to analyze this or make any sense of this. I hope Pedro can at some future date. Looks really bad right now.

http://baseballzeitgeist.blogspot.co...on-speech.html

2. Natalie27

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Quote Originally Posted by Taka
    I saw people in the Yankee Stadium showing boards to Pedro Martinez saying "Who is your daddy?"

What is the implication behind the question?
    CNN did a 3 minute blurb on this two days ago. The reporter asked the fans why they were wearing "Who's your daddy?" T-shirts and sporting "Who's your daddy?" caps and signs. The answer: 'daddy' refers to sugar-daddy: a man who lavishes monetary gifts (material goods and cash) on a woman, but in baseball, the monetary gift refers to 'salary':

A: We do, the ticket holders, so you better win the game or else we won't be buying any more tickets; And if we stop buying tickets, you won't get the $$ salary you're getting now!

Psst. Who's your daddy, Taka?

homophones

I think you got the teams beckwards Casiopea. New York Yankess do not want Red Sox (Pedro Martinez) to win. In all likelihood they know Red Sox wouldn't win the game anyway. They have failed to win a World Series in ages!

>Who pays your salary?

Well, it's definitely not the New York Yankees that negotiate Red Sox salaries. New York Yankees payroll stays at steady $ 180 some miliion dollars anually while Red Sox are at some $120 million. Both are the highest paid teams in regards to player contracts, both are totally independent of each other and both are paid by their separate owners. Add the edorsements plus other huge perks they get on top of all that ...you get the picture.
    Whether anyone buys tickets or not, their salaries have already been negotiated way ahead of time. Obviously, people will always show up - it's an American way of life, and a real big part of their pop culture.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie27
    ...you get the picture.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2