Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired Academic
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Sep 2008
    • Posts: 1
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    To fill one's boots

    Please explain the meaning of this expression.
    Thank you.
    Regards,
    Michel Cerf

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 21,137
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: To fill one's boots

    Quote Originally Posted by mickcerf View Post
    Please explain the meaning of this expression.
    Thank you.
    Regards,
    Michel Cerf
    Do you mean "to fill someone else's boots"? I haven't heard of ... where's it gone ... oh in the title box, "to fill one's boots".

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,718
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: To fill one's boots

    "Go on, fill your boots." Is that what you mean? This is an expression meaning take as much as you want/indulge yourself as much as you want.


    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 1
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: To fill one's boots

    G'day matey

    We use the expression "fill your boots" a lot in the Australian Defence Force. We say it as a means to go ahead. I had a look around at the origin of the meaning and apparently it comes from English Cavaliers (timeframe ??) and it supposedly refers to a time when cav were drinking and instead of getting up after drinking to piss they would fill their thigh high boots instead, Hence "fill your Boots" its your call etc. There is also a refence to a HMS boat where the "boot" is a drinking cup? and when rations of rum were provided sailors were told to "fill your boots" anyhow these days we use it as " go for it" or "if you want to" implying that the pissin in boots is probably the original meaning! Any how believe what you want choose one and "Fill ya boots Bloke" Browndog

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,718
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: To fill one's boots

    Quote Originally Posted by Browndoggy101 View Post
    G'day matey

    I had a look around at the origin of the meaning and apparently it comes from English Cavaliers (timeframe ??) and it supposedly refers to a time when cav were drinking and instead of getting up after drinking to piss they would fill their thigh high boots instead, Hence "fill your Boots" its your call etc.
    If you mean cavaliers as in, "Cavaliers versus Roundheads" the English Civil War, it was 1641 to 1651.
    The cavaliers being the Royalists who supported King Charles, and the Roundheads being the "New Model Army" under Cromwell, who supported Parliament.

  4. Soup's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Sep 2007
    • Posts: 5,892
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: To fill one's boots

    Quote Originally Posted by Browndoggy101 View Post
    G'day matey

    We use the expression "fill your boots" a lot in the Australian Defence Force. We say it as a means to go ahead. I had a look around at the origin of the meaning and apparently it comes from English Cavaliers (timeframe ??) and it supposedly refers to a time when cav were drinking and instead of getting up after drinking to piss they would fill their thigh high boots instead, Hence "fill your Boots" its your call etc. There is also a refence to a HMS boat where the "boot" is a drinking cup? and when rations of rum were provided sailors were told to "fill your boots" anyhow these days we use it as " go for it" or "if you want to" implying that the pissin in boots is probably the original meaning! Any how believe what you want choose one and "Fill ya boots Bloke" Browndog
    Fabulous explanation. Thanks.

  5. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 15,879
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: To fill one's boots

    Quote Originally Posted by Browndoggy101 View Post
    G'day matey

    We use the expression "fill your boots" a lot in the Australian Defence Force. We say it as a means to go ahead. I had a look around at the origin of the meaning and apparently it comes from English Cavaliers (timeframe ??) and it supposedly refers to a time when cav were drinking and instead of getting up after drinking to piss they would fill their thigh high boots instead, Hence "fill your Boots" its your call etc. There is also a refence to a HMS boat where the "boot" is a drinking cup? and when rations of rum were provided sailors were told to "fill your boots" anyhow these days we use it as " go for it" or "if you want to" implying that the pissin in boots is probably the original meaning! Any how believe what you want choose one and "Fill ya boots Bloke" Browndog
    I hadn't heard that one; I thought it was what pirates did when there was too much booty (I mean 'captured treasure' - the near-pun is distracting) to carry by hand.

    Whatever the source, it's very popular with cricket commentators - when batsmen take advantage of weak bowling.

    b


    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 1
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    hi

    hi to every one

  6. Lisa Marie's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 38
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: hi

    Quote Originally Posted by doctorray View Post
    hi to every one
    hi

    Actually there's a thread were you can introduce yourself but it's not this one. ;)


    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 1
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: To fill one's boots

    Thank you if you want to know more details here.... just click here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Fill your boots
    By kkookk2003 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 23-Apr-2010, 04:21
  2. fill in vs fill out
    By juliana0403 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-Oct-2008, 21:47
  3. fill out or fill in?
    By Zoe2008 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 17-Jul-2008, 11:25
  4. fill in/fill up/fill out
    By hlbert03 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-Sep-2006, 08:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •