Tellthetruth is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Comparison between two novels

Hi, could you check this essay? Thank you a lot!

Trace a brief summary of the two stories
    State your opinion about:
    -the aspects of Victorian society that determined/caused the transgressive behaviour of the two protagonists
    -their purpose in performing the final act that led to their death
    -the possible presence of a moral in each novel and if so, what it is?
    Say which novel do you prefer and why.

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde takes place in the London of ninetieth century Dr. Jekyll, a brilliant and respected scientist, discovers a potion able to isolate one’s own evil part. In fact when he takes this potion, he becomes Mr. Hyde, the evil and damnable personality of Dr. Jekyll, with something displeasing in appearance. At the beginning Dr. Jekyll enjoys the advantages of his double life but lately he is no longer able to control himself, since he becomes Mr. Hyde without taking the potion. After some adventures, Mr. Utterson, a dear friend of Dr. Jekyll, find Mr. Hyde with Dr. Jekyll’s clothes in his room and thanks to a message written by Jekyll understands that the doctor and Mr. Hyde are the same person and that he has committed suicide.

The Picture of Dorian Grey takes place in London, where a young and beautiful nobleman named Dorian becomes enthralled in Lord’s Henry aesthetic view of life. He persuades Dorian not to waste his beauty, but to make use of it, and so he wishes that a portrait, painted by his friend Basil would age instead of him. His wish comes true, so he leads a life full of sins and immoral actions. At the end he decides to change life becoming really by stabbing the portrait but this causes his death.

I think that the most important aspect which determined the transgressive behaviour of the two protagonists is the double nature of Victorian society, that is its antithetical values and sexual repression. In fact both of the writers want to highlight the hypocrisy of the middle-classes. The Dr. Jekyll has the reputation of a diligent and esteemed scientist but in his privacy he is attracted to the pleasure and sinful actions. So with his experiment he represents the Victorian middle-classes and takes their behaviour to the extremes because his aim is to keep his reputation pure but to enjoy pleasure and wicked actions. He doesn’t want to be good, but he searches for the respectability to hide his sinful personality. In the same way the portrait of Dorian Grey represents the decay of the middle-classes, instead Dorian, with is wonderful physical aspect but with his bad nature, represents the hypocrisy of the middle classes, which used to hide under their appearances their corrupted behaviour.

Dr. Jekyll isolated himself and became very lonely in order to procure the potion he needed, because he changed into Mr. Hyde without taking it. However, at the end he committed suicide because he could no longer change in Dr. Jekyll, so in this way he wanted to avoid his arrest and his death sentence for the murder of Sir Carew. On the contrary the purpose of Dorian Grey in performing his final act, that is in stabbing the portrait, was to change his kind of life and become really good, forgetting his sinful past and destroying the evidences of his guilt.

I think that in The strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde the moral intention is to reject the model of the middle-classes life. A very curious interpretation explains that the novel is a critique against the alcoholism (in fact the potion of Dr. Jekyll could be simply changed with wines and spirit), very common at that times in the UK.
    The moral intention in The picture of Dorian Grey is that our behaviour shouldn’t be conditioned too much by people’s opinions. Indeed, Dorian Grey follows and agrees with every suggestion and theory of Lord Henry, without thinking of the consequences of his actions.

I prefer The strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde because I’m interested in human psychology and in the dichotomy between our good and bad sides of our mind.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Comparison between two novels

Quote Originally Posted by Tellthetruth View Post
    Hi, could you check this essay? Thank you a lot!

Trace a brief summary of the two stories
    State your opinion about:
    -the aspects of Victorian society that determined/caused the transgressive behaviour of the two protagonists
    -their purpose in performing the final act that led to their death
    -the possible presence of a moral in each novel and if so, what it is?
    Say which novel do you prefer and why.

The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde takes place in the London of nineteenth ninetieth century. Dr. Jekyll, a brilliant and respected scientist, discovers a potion able to isolate one’s own evil part. In fact when he takes this potion, he becomes Mr. Hyde, the evil and damnable personality of Dr. Jekyll, with something displeasing in appearance. At the beginning Dr. Jekyll enjoys the advantages of his double life but lately he is no longer able to control himself, since he becomes Mr. Hyde without taking the potion. After some adventures, Mr. Utterson, a dear friend of Dr. Jekyll, find Mr. Hyde with Dr. Jekyll’s clothes in his room and thanks to a message written by Jekyll understands that the doctor and Mr. Hyde are the same person and that he has committed suicide.

The Picture of Dorian Grey takes place in London, where a young and handsome beautiful nobleman named Dorian becomes enthralled in Lord Henry's aesthetic view of life. He persuades Dorian not to waste his beauty, but to make use of it, and so he wishes that a portrait, painted by his friend Basil would age instead of him. His wish comes true, so he leads a life full of sins and immoral actions. At the end he decides to change life becoming reality by stabbing the portrait, but this causes his death.

I think that the most important aspect which determined the transgressive behaviour of the two protagonists is the double nature of Victorian society, that is, its antithetical values and sexual repression. In fact both of the writers want to highlight the hypocrisy of the middle-classes. The Dr. Jekyll has the reputation of a diligent and esteemed scientist but in his privacy he is attracted to the pleasure and sinful actions. So with his experiment he represents the Victorian middle-classes and takes their behaviour to the extremes because his aim is to keep his reputation pure but to enjoy pleasure and wicked actions. He doesn’t want to be good, but he searches for the respectability to hide his sinful personality. In the same way the portrait of Dorian Grey represents the decay of the middle-classes. Instead, Dorian, with his wonderful physical aspect but with his bad nature, represents the hypocrisy of the middle classes, which used to hide their corrupt behaviour under their appearances.

Dr. Jekyll isolated himself and became very lonely in order to procure the potion he needed, because he changed into Mr. Hyde without taking it. However, at the end he committed suicide because he could no longer change in Dr. Jekyll, so in this way he wanted to avoid his arrest and his death sentence for the murder of Sir Carew. On the contrary the purpose of Dorian Grey in performing his final act, that is, in stabbing the portrait, was to change his kind of life and become really good, forgetting his sinful past and destroying the evidences of his guilt.

I think that in The strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde the moral intention is to reject the model of the middle-classes life. A very curious interpretation explains that the novel is a critique against the alcoholism (in fact the potion of Dr. Jekyll could be simply changed with wines and spirit), very common in those times in the UK.
    The moral intention in The picture of Dorian Grey is that our behaviour shouldn’t be conditioned too much by people’s opinions. Indeed, Dorian Grey follows and agrees with every suggestion and theory of Lord Henry, without thinking of the consequences of his actions.

I prefer The strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde because I’m interested in human psychology and in the dichotomy between the good and bad sides of our mind.
    Not many bad mistakes.
    Suggest delete the underlined. Add the blue
    Book titles must be italicised.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, thank you a lot! I added some senteces to my essay (sentences in blue), could you check them too? Thanks!

He doesn’t want to be good, but he searches for respectability to hide his sinful personality. Mr. Hyde is the hidden monster of the Victorian repression. He seems the embodiment of all vices which the middle classes tried to keep secret. In the same way the portrait of Dorian Grey represents the decay of the middle-classes. Instead, Dorian, with his wonderful physical aspect but with his bad nature, represents the hypocrisy of the middle classes, which used to hide their corrupt behaviour under their appearances.
    Also the theory of Darwin influences the behaviour of Mr. Hyde: he seems the embodiment of a sort of hominid. In this character there is all the suspicion for this theory, which shook moral and religious certainties.
    [...]
    I think that in The strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde the moral intention is to reject the model of the middle-classes life. In addiction to that another important theme is that men shouldn’t override the nature. In fact Dr. Jekyll, with his experiments and his potion, broke the balance of nature.
    [...]
    I prefer The strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde because I’m interested in human psychology and in the dichotomy between the good and bad sides of our mind, in fact it explores inner human conscience. The book is really full of suspense and unexpected twists.
    Last edited by Tellthetruth; 25-Sep-2008 at 22:15.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, thank you a lot! I added some senteces to my essay (sentences in blue), could you check them too? Thanks!

He doesnít want to be good, but he searches for respectability to hide his sinful personality. Mr. Hyde is the hidden monster of the Victorian repression. He seems the embodiment of all vices which the middle classes tried to keep secret. In the same way the portrait of Dorian Grey represents the decay of the middle-classes. Instead, Dorian, with his wonderful physical aspect but with his bad nature, represents the hypocrisy of the middle classes, which used to hide their corrupt behaviour under their appearances.
    Also the theory of Darwin influences the behaviour of Mr. Hyde: he seems the embodiment of a sort of hominid. In this character there is all the suspicion for this theory, which shook moral and religious certainties.
    [...]
    I think that in The strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde the moral intention is to reject the model of the middle-classes life. In addiction to that another important theme is that men shouldnít override the nature. In fact Dr. Jekyll, with his experiments and his potion, broke the balance of nature.
    [...]
    I prefer The strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde because Iím interested in human psychology and in the dichotomy between the good and bad sides of our mind. In fact it explores inner human conscience. The book is really full of suspense and unexpected twists.
    It's mostly right grammatically. I don't know what "there is all the suspicion for this theory" means. "Suspicion" doesn't fit. What are you trying to say?
    Evidence?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    I'm trying to say that the theory of Darwin scared people of the Victorian age, since it shooked moral and religious certainties.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    I'm trying to say that the theory of Darwin scared people of the Victorian age, since it shooked moral and religious certainties.
    In this character there is all the suspicion for this theory, which shook moral and religious certainties.

"This character seemed to be an embodiment and confirmation of this theory, which shook ... "