Thread: Using words

Ms Berry is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Using words

Hello everybody,

I like to make this thread as a reference for using words in sentences & daily life with the support of moderators , so that everyone can participate in it & write words he doesn't know how to use them to recieve examples of sentences from moderators or members if they know.

I'll be the first one to ask about the ( condescend ) , ( commensurate ) , ( countenance ) , ( Jeopardize )

of couse I have many other words but I started with theses four coz I don't know how to put them in a sentence ..

If I made any mistake in grammar or spelling in writing , please correct it to me & I'll be so thankful

Thanks alot

Ms Berry

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using words

I'll do my best to use the words in easy sentences. I am assuming that you know what the words mean. Hopefully these help.

Condescend:
    "I hate it when people are so condescending."
    The only time I have ever heard condescend used by itself (without -ing) is in the infinitive (to condescend) when someone is defining the word. It is usually always written as "condescending" The word usually describes someone's behavior, attitude, or choice of words. ("He is very condescending." "She has a very condescending tone of voice." "They treat everyone like they are children. I think they are very condescending.")

Commensurate:
    "Your paycheck should be commensurate with the amount of time you worked." This is not a word that is commonly used outside of the formal and professional world. Someone else might give a better sentence.

Countenance:
    This one's tricky because it has so many meanings.

"He had the countenance of a pirate."
    He looks like a pirate!

"She continued to countenance his bad behavior."
    She tolerated his bad behavior.

"They were out of countenance (idiom) when they learned about the horrible accident."
    They looked distressed when they learned about the accident.

Jeopardize:
    "I will not jeopardize the success of this mission by giving away our position!"

"They jeopardized the entire deal because of their rude remarks."

"His grade was in jeopardy when his teacher suspected him of plagiarism."

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Normally he wouldn't countenance such a breach of diplomatic protocol, and would insist on dealing with someone whose rank was commensurate with his own, but he didn't want to jeapordize the trade mission, so he condescended to meet them informally.

(I don't have the same problem as thedeebo about using 'condescend' as a verb. Perhaps it's a word that is going out of use in this use faster in the USA than in the UK.)

b

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have the same problem as thedeebo about using 'condescend' as a verb. Perhaps it's a word that is going out of use in this use faster in the USA than in the UK.
    Probably. I have never heard it used that way before. It's used as an adjective quite a bit here though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Berry View Post
    Hello everybody,

I like to make this thread as a reference for using words in sentences & daily life....

Thanks al ot

Ms Berry
    I think it can be quite a useful thread for us non-native speakers. So thank you, Ms, Berry, and this is my contribution.
    STROBE

NOUN:
    A strobe light.
    A stroboscope.
    A spot of higher than normal intensity in the sweep of an indicator, as on a radar screen, used as a reference mark for determining distance.

Examples. A news headline: "Astronomers spot a star that flashes strobe lights."
    "A most 'bizarre' strobe light star reported by European astronomers likely belongs to a long-sought family of compact 'neutron' stars."

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NanetteDee View Post
    I think it can be quite a useful thread for us non-native speakers. So thank you, Ms, Berry, and this is my contribution.
    STROBE

NOUN:
    A strobe light.
    A stroboscope.
    A spot of higher than normal intensity in the sweep of an indicator, as on a radar screen, used as a reference mark for determining distance.

Examples. A news headline: "Astronomers spot a star that flashes strobe lights."
    "A most 'bizarre' strobe light star reported by European astronomers likely belongs to a long-sought family of compact 'neutron' stars."

I've never heard it used in that way. A star that sends out regular pulses of light is called a Pulsar; - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but I'm not an astrophysicist, so I wouldn't be surprised to find that some stars do in fact generate stroboscopic light.

I've heard 'strobe' used in a more earthly context, like these:

'This programme includes strobe lights and is not suitable for people who suffer from epilepsy or some other photo-sensitive disorder.' [warning before a TV programme]

'Yes, it would be good to light the scene with a strobe. It gives movements the sort of jerky effect you can see in old movies. But the trouble is, a strobe light is rather noisy while it's warming up.' [from a discussion about lighting a scene in the theatre - and if anyone thinks it's improbable - as some of my examples are - it's not. I actually said it once myself.]

b

Post Thanks / Like

"I saw the officer's strobe in my rear-view mirror."
    (Never a good situation...)

Post Thanks / Like

When I open my personal email, there is always a new clip from the dictionary.com. It is usually the word of the day with a brief explanation. If I want to know more, I click on this word.
    The word I found today was so much about me that I just want to share it with you.

slugabed \SLUHG-uh-bed\, noun:
    One who stays in bed until a late hour; a sluggard.

Examples
    ~ Nemecek's business is not for slugabeds. He opens for business every weekday at 4 a.m.
    ~ I found Oriana, as usual, up before me, for I always was a sad slugabed.
    -- W. Hurton, Doomed Ship
    ~ All save Whit elected to sleep in that morning. Whit came back to report that he had spotted the tracks of a doe and a fawn made in the new snow directly beneath my unoccupied stand, and I regretted being a slugabed.
    -- "Paying Tribute to Deer in Minnesota Woods", New York Times, December 6, 1998

Are you a slugabed? I am, a terrible one!