angleterre is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Promoting Intensive English classes abroad

Hi everyone

I recently set up a service offering one to one and small group business and general English classes to students. However, I'm finding it a challenge promoting and obtaining students abroad.

I understand there are language agents who assist in promoting schools services, but most of them are working with accredited schools. As a new service mine does not fall into that category.

Does anyone have any bright ideas about how I could lure either business people or students to my centre?

Also if anyone knows how I can contact language agents I'd be most grateful.

Many thanks for your help.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Promoting Intensive English classes abroad

Which countries are you interested in? I don't want to rain on your parade, but it's a risky idea.

Post Thanks / Like

You should first decide in which countries you would like to market your services. Then you should investigate whether government subsidies exist for students. In Germany for instance, it is good to have your school registered for "Bildungsulaub" (please look the word up in Leo or something)

The above would give you a very strong advantage in getting your school promoted under a countries government schemes, most of which offer free publicity to, and have distributed lists of registered schools.

The internet is also a wonderful promotion tool if used correctly.

Another successful way is to contact a school or schools in the country of your choice and get that school to partner with you.

All this naturally if I have understood your question correctly.

OnlineEnglish Europe - TOEIC Preparation - Préparation au TOEIC TOEIC preparation Online.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Which countries are you interested in? I don't want to rain on your parade, but it's a risky idea.
    Thanks for your response. I am mainly looking at France, Spain, Italy, Germany, etc -European countries so as to avoid visa issues. I believe it would be difficult to obtain visas for students from non European countries as my centre isn't an accredited school.

Is this still risky?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robertphipps View Post
    You should first decide in which countries you would like to market your services. Then you should investigate whether government subsidies exist for students. In Germany for instance, it is good to have your school registered for "Bildungsulaub" (please look the word up in Leo or something)

The above would give you a very strong advantage in getting your school promoted under a countries government schemes, most of which offer free publicity to, and have distributed lists of registered schools.

The internet is also a wonderful promotion tool if used correctly.

Another successful way is to contact a school or schools in the country of your choice and get that school to partner with you.

All this naturally if I have understood your question correctly.

OnlineEnglish Europe - TOEIC Preparation - Préparation au TOEIC TOEIC preparation Online.
    Thank you very much for your response. It's been a great help.

I have a website for the centre. Is there anywhere specifically that it should be visible, any particular directories etc ?

If I ask a school to partner with mine, does that mean I need to send them students from here? Is that how it works?

By the way what is Leo and where do I obtain it?

Eternally grateful for your help.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Website- Submit it to standard directories like Dmoz and Yahoo, though this can take ages. Get your site in some ESL directories and sites. You can browse here: ESL Web Directory especially Web Guides - ESL Web Directory - UsingEnglish.com You can also submit your site here: ESL Web Directory: Add a Link

As you're just starting in the business, you are in a fragile position in many ways, so I advise great caution and getting a lawyer before entering into any international deals.

Leo- a German/English dictionary online: LEO Deutsch-Englisches Wörterbuch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Website- Submit it to standard directories like Dmoz and Yahoo, though this can take ages. Get your site in some ESL directories and sites. You can browse here: ESL Web Directory especially Web Guides - ESL Web Directory - UsingEnglish.com You can also submit your site here: ESL Web Directory: Add a Link

As you're just starting in the business, you are in a fragile position in many ways, so I advise great caution and getting a lawyer before entering into any international deals.

Leo- a German/English dictionary online: LEO Deutsch-Englisches Wörterbuch
    Thank you so much, I'm extremely grateful for you taking the time to inform me of those resources. I appreciate your advice.

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of service can you provide.

Are you able to send your English teachers abroad. let's ignore the VISA process. Or you only want students to your school?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your response. I'm actually very willing to travel abroad to students as are my teachers. I offer one-to-one and small groups (max 4 students) general and business English.

I'm open to all offers of getting students, whether it's in this country or going abroad.