Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: For WUKEN- Present & Present Continuous forms of the verb

it's probably 90% sure for me that I would go tonight

David L.'s post:
    Actually, other than death, the sentence implies that I am 100% determined to go, 100% definite about going.
    HOWEVER, why do you think that 'how sure I am of this as I say it' is important and part of the reason we use/choose Present Continuous?
    I am not sure why you add this? Can you clarify for me what you had in mind when you typed it?

WUKEN is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

May I ask another question?
    I have another question after reading the sentence David posted.
    I haven't been feeling well. I've been off work this week but I'm coming to your party tonight if I have to crawl on my hands and knees.
    The question is about the use of present perfect continuous/ progressive and present continuous/ progressive tenses.
    Let me set an example to make sure what I thought is right or not. Hopefully you could correct me if you think I am not clear about the tenses.
    E.g. Emily went to a concert with her friends. She really enjoyed the performance in the concert. But suddenly she felt ill , very discomfortable, so she said to her friend"I am not feeling well. Sorry, I want to go home right now."
    one day later, her friend called her asking her situation. She answered " I haven't been feeling well. If it doesn't improve, I would go to see a doctor."
    Is my usage right?
    Thanks again! You really help me a lot!!! Thanks!!!
    Last edited by WUKEN; 28-Sep-2008 at 12:15.

Post Thanks / Like

E.g. Emily goes to a concert with her friends. She really enjoys the performance in the concert. But suddenly she feels ill , very discomfortable, so she says to her friend"I am not feeling well. Sorry, I want to go home right now."
    one day later, her friend called her asking her situation. She answered " I haven't been feeling well. If it doesn't improve, I would go to see a doctor."
    Is my usage right?

What Emily says to her friend at the concert is correct.
    So - next day, Emily's friend knows she was not well last night, and so rings to find out how she is.
    BUT - "I haven't been feeling well" implies that the friend knows nothing about the fact that she has been off colour! It is as if she is telling her this news for the first time.
    To the question, 'how long have you been feeling ill?' Emily would have to reply, since I told you I wasn't feeling well at the concert last night!!! The friend already knows!

The friend is part of this whole ongoing situation of 'not feeling well' as she, the friend, was told so last night. So Emily would say, when the friend rings to enquire: "I am still not feeling well."

If it doesn't improve, I would go to see a doctor."

You are using an 'if...then' construction. The nature of the conditional is:
    If this doesn't happen (I feel better) then something else will happen AFTER THAT, further in the future. You are expressing a future intention.

So the sentence should be: If it doesn't improve, I will go to see a doctor."

If Emily said, "I'm still not feeling well.", then her friend might say: "I would see a doctor (if I were you.)" 'would' being used = to give advice to another person.
    Last edited by David L.; 28-Sep-2008 at 12:29.

WUKEN is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Post Thanks / Like