Post Thanks / Like

Default Two spaces after a sentence?

In grade school I was taught that after the punctuation that completes a sentence, (period, question mark, exclamation point), one must put two spaces before beginning the next sentence. I have held to this rule, but I notice it is not enforced on a computer. On my text programs, on the Internet, and even on forums such as this one, the second space is eliminated when a post is submitted, leaving just one. Is there an explanation for this?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Two spaces after a sentence?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheez
    In grade school I was taught that after the punctuation that completes a sentence, (period, question mark, exclamation point), one must put two spaces before beginning the next sentence. I have held to this rule, but I notice it is not enforced on a computer. On my text programs, on the Internet, and even on forums such as this one, the second space is eliminated when a post is submitted, leaving just one. Is there an explanation for this?
    It's the same in newspapers and magazines. Omitting the second space saves space. :wink:

Post Thanks / Like

So is this rule now obsolete?

Post Thanks / Like

So is this rule now obsolete?
    Not necessarily. It depends on the style guide you're using e.g., MLA (Modern Language Association), APA (American Psychological Association), CGOS (Columbia Guide to Online Style).

MLA and APA style guides can easily be found on the Net. Here's a link for CGOS Click Here.

APA uses single spacing after a period. Click here: Spacing and Punctuation

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Two spaces after a sentence?

Laziness?