Thread: very or much?

Lenka is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default very or much?

Could you correct this sentence, please?

The sentence: „I don’t like very science-fiction films and this seems at least a little science-fiction.

1) I suppose the first mistake is to write: …seems to be at least a little… - is it true? Is the sentense possible to write without the „to be“?

2) My teacher told me I can’t write „I don’t like very science-fiction“, but „much“ instead of „very“. Is it true? I believe her, but I think that when I write that it is „very science-fiction“, then, it is right, isn’t it?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: very or much?

Quote Originally Posted by Lenka
    Could you correct this sentence, please?

The sentence: „I don’t like very science-fiction films and this seems at least a little science-fiction.
    I don't like science-fiction films very much and this film is a little like science-fiction.

Mister Micawber is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

'It is very SF' is perhaps colloquial but not yet acceptable in standard English. And this is the only way I can make sense of your sentence, Lenka:

'I don’t like science-fiction films very much and this seems (to be) at least a little like science-fiction.' (Another somewhat improbable option would be 'a little science-fictional')

The 'to be' is optional. The 'like', if that is your meaning, is required . The 'at least' appears redundant but is acceptable for emphasis.

Oh, hi Cassy-- yours is faster, briefer, clearer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Micawber
    Oh, hi Cassy-- yours is faster, briefer, clearer.
    Kochira kozo, MM. :wink:

Post Thanks / Like

But I wanted to say: I don’t like films that are VERY science-fiction.
    (I think it’s the same as: I don’t like films that are very boring… -for example)

Mister Micawber, thank you for your explanation (and many thanks to you others, of course) – I think it was the best.
    As I was reading your explanation, I was thinking of the „science-fiction“ is an adjective. If I can understand it well, you say, that if I wanted to use it as an adjective, I would have to write „science-fictional“. Then, I think I understand it. So I should have written: I don’t like very science-fictional films.? Am I right?
    I looked into my English dictionary to find how to say the adjective of science fiction (in Czech it is vedecko-fantasticky – without accent). And I found only word science fiction (not science fictional).
    So, how is it?

Lenka

Mister Micawber is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

That's why I called it 'improbable', Lenka-- because the adjective didn't exist, to my knowledge, and I had to coin it, adding the same suffix that turns 'fiction' into 'fictional'. Still, your teacher might more likely have accepted that, rather than 'very science-fiction', which has an informality to it inappropriate to writing.

Actually, it's hard to imagine-- a film is either a SF movie, or it is not. Perhaps you would have been better to rephrase the idea: 'I don't like science fiction movies that are very unreal/unbelievable/fantastic'.

Post Thanks / Like

ThANKS