Results 1 to 8 of 8

    • Join Date: Dec 2005
    • Posts: 12
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Spanish speaking problem

    1. I have difficulties speaking Spanish.

    2. I have difficulties in speaking Spanish.

    Are both of the above sound good?

  1. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Spanish speaking problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Loctas View Post
    1. I have difficulties speaking Spanish.

    2. I have difficulties in speaking Spanish.

    Do both of the above sound good?
    Both are OK.



    • Join Date: Dec 2005
    • Posts: 12
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Spanish speaking problem

    Thanks RonBee

    What is the difference between 'difficulties in speaking' and 'difficulties speaking' ?

    Probably the preposition 'in' is an overkill here.

    I don't know.

  2. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Spanish speaking problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Loctas View Post
    Thanks RonBee

    What is the difference between 'difficulties in speaking' and 'difficulties speaking' ?

    Probably the preposition 'in' is an overkill here.

    I don't know.
    The "in" isn't necessary. (No difference.)



    • Join Date: Dec 2005
    • Posts: 12
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Spanish speaking problem

    Thanks RonBee again.

    If you have a single problem, you would say I have a difficulty.

    Let us say a computer is not working.
    1.I have a difficulty repairing the broken computer.
    2.I have a difficulty in repairing the broken computer.

    Both of the above are fine. You have taught me.

    Let us say 2 of your computers are not working.

    3.I have difficulties repairing the broken computers.
    4.I have difficulties in repairing the broken computers.

    Are the 3rd and 4th sentences fine too?

    I am not sure about the plural nature of the word difficulty.


    • Join Date: Dec 2005
    • Posts: 12
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Spanish speaking problem

    I request someone to reply me.

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 20,227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Spanish speaking problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Loctas View Post
    Thanks RonBee again.

    If you have a single problem, you would say I have a difficulty.

    Let us say a computer is not working.
    1.I have a difficulty repairing the broken computer.
    2.I have a difficulty in repairing the broken computer.

    Both of the above are fine. You have taught me.

    Let us say 2 of your computers are not working.

    3.I have difficulties repairing the broken computers.
    4.I have difficulties in repairing the broken computers.

    Are the 3rd and 4th sentences fine too?

    I am not sure about the plural nature of the word difficulty.
    Yes, they are alright, but they would sound more natural in the continuous present tense.
    3. I'm having difficulties repairing the broken computers".
    Your original example was something that you habitually have difficulty with, so in that case, the present simple tense was right.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 52
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Spanish speaking problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Loctas View Post
    1. I have difficulties speaking Spanish.

    2. I have difficulties in speaking Spanish.

    Do both of the above sound good?
    Yes, they sound good. The first sentence is more common, I'd say.

Similar Threads

  1. Eng. Speaking problem
    By monaacs in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Jun-2008, 07:53
  2. The problem of Thai students in speaking English.
    By Mr.Jarin Panyasiri in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Apr-2007, 09:27
  3. Help for poetry and word game
    By Mamouth26 in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Jun-2006, 09:11
  4. Speaking Problem
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Aug-2004, 21:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •