Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Anonymous Guest

    Default I am six feet/foot (???) tall

    Just can't understand which one is better to use. I have heard a lot of people using both almost interchangeably; some others, however, strongly object to "foot" as being nonstandard. Some prefer "foot," though. Which one is better to stick with?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I am six feet/foot (???) tall

    Quote Originally Posted by Hampshire Pewter
    Just can't understand which one is better to use. I have heard a lot of people using both almost interchangeably; some others, however, strongly object to "foot" as being nonstandard. Some prefer "foot," though. Which one is better to stick with?
    He is a six-foot man. (OK)
    He is six feet tall. (OK)

    Click here

  3. #3
    Hampshire Pewter Guest

    Default Re: I am six feet/foot (???) tall

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Quote Originally Posted by Hampshire Pewter
    Just can't understand which one is better to use. I have heard a lot of people using both almost interchangeably; some others, however, strongly object to "foot" as being nonstandard. Some prefer "foot," though. Which one is better to stick with?
    He is a six-foot man. (OK)
    He is six feet tall. (OK)

    Click here
    Thanks a lot. This is actually what I expected, but some people persist saying "He is six foot tall" or "It is five foot away" that in the end it gets really confusing.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I am six feet/foot (???) tall

    Quote Originally Posted by Hampshire Pewter
    Thanks a lot. This is actually what I expected, but some people persist saying "He is six foot tall" or "It is five foot away" that in the end it gets really confusing.
    You're welcome. :D

Similar Threads

  1. Which word is appropriate?
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Apr-2004, 02:04
  2. a high tree or a tall tree
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-Feb-2004, 04:23
  3. clause
    By navi tasan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-Dec-2002, 16:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk