• Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

There is no better accent

I think there is no better accent in any language you learn. Let me tell you during an English class the English teacher ask me for fun what language do I speak. I told him, I speak French and English then a French woman from France ask me: "Do Québécois people really speaks French?" After that irrelevant question I answer her, they speak more French than you think and then I ask my self what does she do in Quebec while she criticized Quebec accent? With a polite answer she felt uncomfortable and she couldn't say anything else.

No matter what language I want to learn the accent is not important to me. It can be British accent or American, I don't mind but the only thing I prefer to pronounce in the American way. If hear a British accent, I tell that individual to keep her or his accent and I think they should be shameless of them selve.
    Last edited by Stromgol; 28-Sep-2008 at 17:25. Reason: To add something else

mykwyner is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: There is no better accent

There is an entire science called sociolinguistics that examines people's attitudes towards the speech patterns of others. There is a lot of very interesting literature on the subject.

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stromgol View Post
    I think there is no better accent in any language you learn. Let me tell you during an English class the English teacher ask me for fun what language do I speak. I told him, I speak French and English then a French woman from France ask me: "Do Québécois people really speaks French?" After that irrelevant question I answer her, they speak more French than you think
    Unfortunately, a lot of people are ignorant of what goes on in other parts of the world. There are still some Americans who think that all Canadians live in ingloos. I'm of the belief that there is no such thing as a dumb question; the only way people can learn is by asking questions.

and then I ask my self what does she do in Quebec while she criticized Quebec accent? With a polite answer she felt uncomfortable and she couldn't say anything else.
    Unless you've left out part of the story, I don't see where the woman criticized the Quebec accent. Unless she was being sarcastic when she asked if French was spoken in Quebec....?

No matter what language I want to learn the accent is not important to me. It can be British accent or American, I don't mind but the only thing I prefer to pronounce in the American way. If hear a British accent, I tell that individual to keep her or his accent and I think they should be shameless of them selve.
    I agree. The main reason for learning a language is to be understood. Even if you have an accent that is considered to be poor (you should only hear my very awkward French pronunciation, but it did help Mr. Ouisch and I to negotiate out way through Quebec a few years ago), if you are able to communicate with another person who speaks the same language, then you have achieved your goal.

Post Thanks / Like

There are still some Americans who think that all Canadians live in ingloos.
    That's the height of ignorance. BTW my cousin says some americans cant even point out their own country on the world map.

On topic: Accent is basically the way one speaks. It is criminal to criticize the way one speaks. As long as the transfer of informatio/data/knowledge is successful accent should not be taken into consideration.

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski_power View Post
    That's the height of ignorance. BTW my cousin says some americans cant even point out their own country on the world map.

Not necessarily the "height of ignorance," just a belief based on stereotypes in books and films and television, and the result of not pursuing further information on another nation. Such "ignorance" is not unique to Americans....During my many trips to England, I can't tell you how many people I met who referred to Los Angeles as being on the "East Coast." I have friends in the lodging industry who have noted that many Indians and Middle-Easterners who travel to the US don't know how to utilize Western-style toilets and as a result make a mess of their rooms. I'm sure there are people in Pakistan, Russia, Bolivia, etc, who are unable to point out their own country on a map as well. There are uneducated/ignorant people in every nation in the world.