Post Thanks / Like

Default Could you please edit this paragraph?

Daer Friends

I have translated a difficult literary paragraph from Arabic into English. Can you cehck it for me?

Regards
    Mar

In his book Al-Bidaya wal Nihaya (The Beginning and the End), Ibnk Katheer hails Imam Abi Al-Faraj Ibn Al-Jazwi: “One of the most celebrating scholars, Ibn Al-Jawzi was versed in a variety of disciplines. What distinguished him though from other scholars was his collection of around three hundred works and writing of about two hundred volumes. He was an unprecedented preacher gifted with unique rhetoric, and eloquence, had a dulcet talk, well composed discourse, and an impressive tone. He knew how to use every delicate sense of his words to explain anything that is odd briefly and in a way that is amenable to perception. A short word of his would be most revealing. He was the main contributor in all sciences including the tafseer (Quran explanations), the Hadith, history, arithmetics, astrology, medicine, Fiqh (Islamic Jurisprudence), language and grammar.” Ibn Kathir then concludes that Ibn Al-jAwzi was “An unparalleled student of his time.” Having said that, let us consider one thing that Ibn Al-Jawzi said: “I have been contemplating a lot on jihad al-nafs (Struggle with Self) and fount it indeed the greatest struggle of all, but apparently little do scholars and ascetics understand what is really means.”

Raymott is online now VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Could you please edit this paragraph?

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammed Abu Risha View Post
    Daer Friends

I have translated a difficult literary paragraph from Arabic into English. Can you cehck it for me?

Regards
    Mar

In his book Al-Bidaya wal Nihaya (The Beginning and the End), Ibnk Katheer hails Imam Abi Al-Faraj Ibn Al-Jazwi: “One of the most celebrating scholars, Ibn Al-Jawzi was versed in a variety of disciplines. What distinguished him though from other scholars was his collection of around three hundred works and writings of about two hundred volumes. He was an unprecedented preacher gifted with unique rhetoric and eloquence, had a dulcet talk voice, well composed discourse, and an impressive tone. He knew how to use every delicate sense of his words to explain anything that was odd briefly and in a way that was amenable to perception. A short word of his would be most revealing. He was the main contributor in all sciences including the tafseer (Quran explanations), the Hadith, history, arithmetics, astrology, medicine, Fiqh (Islamic Jurisprudence), language and grammar” ( ). Ibn Kathir then concludes that Ibn Al-jAwzi was “An unparalleled student of his time”
    ( )
    . Having said that, let us consider one thing that Ibn Al-Jawzi said: “I have been contemplating a lot on jihad al-nafs (Struggle with Self) and found it indeed the greatest struggle of all, but apparently little do scholars and ascetics understand what is really means.” ( )
    add blue.
    The ( ) means that, in a scholarly article, you'd generally put the page numbers here from where you took the quote or, in the last example, where this quote was from.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

“One of the most celebrating celebrated scholars, Ibn Al-Jawzi was versed in a variety of disciplines.

Post Thanks / Like

Raymott
    Angelika

Thank you for your help.

In fact, I told the writer of the original book that he should point out to the pages from which he quoted those lines.