• Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Question A whatever-passage

After some meditation, at last I decided what to do with my older brother. Nothing. Let the things go their own way.

So I did that, I did nothing. And it was a mistake, as usually when I am trying to mull things over instead of letting the things go their own way. I should have done something. I should have helped him somehow. I should have given him some money, a helping hand, anything. Tried as never, failed as always.

If you think I got in a muddle with the whole mull-things-over-let-the-things-go-their-own-way thing, you're wrong. I did not. You must have misunderstood me, which really isn't that astonishing. People misunderstand me all to often, no matter what I say or whether I say anything; silence sometimes tells more than hundreds of words, so how come they should understand my silence?

Anyway, I did fail, and you probably did misunderstand me, completely not surprising disaster. Whatever you think now about me, I'm fine with that.

Whatever.

-------------

Will be obliged for any comments on this short passage. I hoped to give two meanings to the last 'whatever'; was it clear at first reading?

Thanks,
    Nyggus

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A whatever-passage

Quote Originally Posted by nyggus View Post
    After some meditation, at last I decided what to do with my older brother. Nothing. Let the things go their own way.

So I did that, I did nothing. And it was a mistake, as usual when I am trying to mull things over instead of letting the things go their own way. I should have done something. I should have helped him somehow. I should have given him some money, a helping hand, anything. Tried as never, failed as always. (Is this a Polish phrase? It sounds strange)

If you think I got in a muddle with the whole mull-things-over-let-the-things-go-their-own-way thing, you're wrong. I did not. You must have misunderstood me, which really isn't that astonishing. People misunderstand me all too often, no matter what I say or whether I say anything; silence sometimes tells more than hundreds of words, so how come they should understand my silence?

Anyway, I did fail, and you probably did misunderstand me, completely not surprising disaster. [What is "not surprising disaster"?] Whatever you think now about me, I'm fine with that.

Whatever.

-------------

Will be obliged for any comments on this short passage. I hoped to give two meanings to the last 'whatever'; was it clear at first reading?
    Yes
    Thanks,
    Nyggus
    Whatever.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks,
    Nyggus
    Is this in the right forum? To answer your question, yes.

b

nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Is this in the right forum? To answer your question, yes.

b
    Got your point. I was, actually, hesitating where to post this one, but as I was interested in your opinion on grammar and style rather than on the contents, I posted it here. In future will post such things in "Editing and Writing Topics".

Thanks for the answer on the whatever-question,
    Nyggus

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Got your point. I was, actually, hesitating where to post this one, but as I was interested in your opinion on grammar and style rather than on the contents, I posted it here. In future will post such things in "Editing and Writing Topics".

Thanks for the answer on the whatever-question,
    Nyggus
    As to the language; I agree with Raymott. I have a vague feeling that 'tried as never, failed as always' may have been on a list of so-called 'colloquialisms' that I had to learn by rote at primary school from a ridiculous book called 'First Aid in English'. I didn't learn the list, and have never regretted it; I've never used or heard the expression. If I've not misunderstood (!) 'Completely not surprising disaster' I think you could leave the 'disaster' part unsaid, and just write 'Anyway, I did fail, and you probably (and predictably) did misunderstand me.'

By the way, I thought 'Whatever' was pretty neat.

b

nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    As to the language; I agree with Raymott. I have a vague feeling that 'tried as never, failed as always' may have been on a list of so-called 'colloquialisms' that I had to learn by rote at primary school from a ridiculous book called 'First Aid in English'. I didn't learn the list, and have never regretted it; I've never used or heard the expression. If I've not misunderstood (!) 'Completely not surprising disaster' I think you could leave the 'disaster' part unsaid, and just write 'Anyway, I did fail, and you probably (and predictably) did misunderstand me.'

By the way, I thought 'Whatever' was pretty neat.

b
    Thanks, Bob. Indeed, this phrase is a translation from Polish and I was pretty interested in how you may find it; now I know. Got your point on the 'disaster' part.

Thanks,
    Nyggus