Rasel is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How important is my resume?

How important is my resume? Is this the most important part of the interview process

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How important is my resume?

A poorly presented and inaccurate cv will not result in an invitation to an interview. An employer needs to have the overview provided by the cv/resume when choosing candidates for interview. Therefore it has an importance in the selection process, and will probably be a basis for the questions asked in an interview.

There is no single important thing in application for a job, selection of candidate, and interview. All three parts contribute.

MaryTeacher is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How important is my resume?

Hi-

Like Anglika said in her reply, a poorly presented resume will not get you an interview.

For some jobs, there may be hundreds of applicants. Resumes that are difficult to read, visually jarring, or full of errors will likely be tossed.

The goal of a well-written resume is to provide a decent profile and summary of your qualifications and expertise, and then get you an interview. (Your resume does not usually get you the job! Good performance in the interview does.)

It's important to remember that different countries have different ideas about what is appropriate in a resume. For example, in North America, you do not list your age or marital status in a resume, though in some countries this is more common. If you are planning to apply for a job in another country, it is worth doing some research into what style of resume is popular.

Sometimes it is necessary to customize your resume for a specific position in order to emphasize the specific skills and experience that make you an ideal candidate for the position.

boranco is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I will say this, I really steered clear of the whole you need a resume and cover letter song and dance. But I have to add that it is really important. I will not underestimate the power of a great resume and cover letter. That goes without saying for any job. My book gives you the option on what to do here. You can either do it yourself or hire someone to do it for you. A poor resume and cover letter is like showing up to a formal in sweat pants. Would you do that?

Last edited by Anglika; 30-Sep-2008 at 15:08. Reason: removal of promotional link - contravention of forum rules

vima is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Call it a resume, a CV or a bio-data, it is the most important tool you have when approaching employers. You will be trained and educated in various skills in institutions and there are enough jobs out there that need your kind of skills. But then, you are not the only one.

Sreevysh Corp

oregeezer is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

If they do not like your resume there will NOT be an interview.
    In the selection process the interview is the most important decision point for the employer and you must be well prepared when you go to an interview. There may be many people sending resumes but only a few are selected for interviews, so a resume that presents your experience and personal qualities is necessary to get you an opportunity to impress the boss.

Post Thanks / Like

After your education, your resume is probably your most important career investment. Resumes are a one page calling card.

Think of it this way -

1. You need an outstanding resume to get an interview.
    2. From the interview you get a chance to win a job.
    3. From the job you begin growing your career.

Please have a look at dhresumes.com - Home for additional tips and listings of upcoming job fairs.

DHResumes
    writing with results