Thread: Talking

daros5 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Hi, can you advise me please-is it better to talk more without paying attention on how grammatically it is or to talk less, slower following all the grammar?

Kind regards,

daros5

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Talking

Welcome to the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by daros5 View Post
    Hi, can you advise me please-is it better to talk more without paying attention on how grammatical it is or to talk slower following all the grammar?

Kind regards,

daros5
    Since good communication is the aim, probably slower and grammatical is "better", but on the other hand, confidence in speaking can be built by not worrying too much about grammar. You do run a risk of being misunderstood or having to repeat yourself.

Do you have an example of what you have found?

Post Thanks / Like

It would probably be best to do your best to follow the rules. The native speakers take shortcuts mostly because they found ways to make their formal language faster and easier to use in conversation. If you don't have the same understanding of the language that the native speakers do, you might accidentally leave out information that the native speakers need to understand you.

I was talking with someone here who speaks English as a second language and they were trying too hard to use all the slang and shortcuts of American English. They also had an accent and were trying their hardest to speak as quickly as I could. I had to tell them to slow down and say everything again because I could not understand anything they were trying to say.

When in doubt, don't take shortcuts!

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, the best way to learn English is to get out there and actually speak it. Do the best you can; if you make a grammatical mistake, it might go unnoticed, or someone might laugh at you. No matter. You can't progress in learning English without actually using it among native speakers.

Many years ago when I was still studying English in college, we were given many examples of how quickly young children learned the language versus adults. Four and five-year-old immigrants to the United States from other countries knew only their native tongue, but within a few months of hanging out with neighborhood children on the playground and such, they picked up English very quickly. Correct and precise grammar came later, but the very fact of them being alone on the playground and needing to communicate helped them to quickly pick up English words and phrases. In fact, because of this child-like ignorance of grammar and sentence structure, it is not uncommon for the youngest members of an immigrant family to learn English communication quickly and act as translator for theor parents.

daros5 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for your quick response.

I reckon you have helped me very much passing the example of the children.

You are right, they learn very quickly and they do not know the grammar!

Later on they start to follow the grammar rules.

Just talk, talk and once again talk even it sometimes sounds funny.

Thank you very much!

Kind regards,

daros5