jarell11 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Question help correct my essy please

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I know if you asked someone if they have a person that has been important for them in any way most of those people would answer “yes”. For instance I asked that same question to my best friend, my mom and a random person in the streets and guess what I found out each and every one of them had a person they thought was the most important for them and their own reasons. For example my friend most important person is his mother because she loves him, shows him valuable things and she brought him to this world. My Mom most important person in her life is my uncle Francisco because he is responsible, he is a person you can trust and he shows that family always comes first. In My case the person that is the most important for me is my Dad because he thought me how to be a gentleman, I like the way he never gives up[/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'].[/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] And most important he has been always there for me[/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'][/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] My Dad has thought me how to be a gentleman it seems like simple stuff like been polite help others or if you are going out with someone open the door for them pull the chair out thanks to all of these suggestions I give respect and I receive respect back and at the same time it feels nice.[/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] Other reason I choose my Dad is that he never seems to give up for example we move here like seven years ago and what my dad has accomplish during those seven year are have his own shop own a house like other things .also he is studying the citizenship test and learning English as well the on l thing I can say he never seems to amaze me.[/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] But the most important reason I choose my dad is that he has always been there for me like the time my mother told me that my parent was next to me after the doctors put me on a incubator and he stay with me for the week talking to me, or the time I when to the operation room because I was going to have surgery he was there when I finally wake up or even when I got run out by a car and fracture my leg my father was the first to arrive to the hospital and he is also there when I need to talked to someone I consider my father like a friend I can always count on.[/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] There is always someone that has impact your life I one way or another it could be a friend, family, member artist, teacher or a complete stranger but in the end all is the same all they do is been there when you need them the most you just have to realize your never alone and thank those people.[/FONT]

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: help correct my essy please

Welcome to the forums

Quote Originally Posted by jarell11 View Post
    I know if you asked someonepeople if they have a person that has been important for them in any way, most of those people would answer “yes”. For instance I asked that same question to of my best friend, my Mom and a random person in the streets and guess what - I found out each and every one of them had a person they thought was the most important for them and their own reasons. For example, my friend's most important person is his mother because she loves him, shows him valuable things and she brought him to into this world. My Mom's most important person in her life is my uncle Francisco because he is responsible, he is a person you can trust and he shows that family always comes first. In my case the person that is the most important for me is my Dad because he thought taught me how to be a gentleman. I like the way he never gives up - and most important he has been always there for me.

My Dad has thought taught me how to be a gentleman: it seems like simple stuff, like been being polite, helping others or, if you are going out with someone, open the door for them, pull the chair out. Thanks to all of these suggestions I give respect and I receive respect back, and at the same time it feels nice.

The other reason I choose my Dad is that he never seems to give up. For example, we moved here like omit seven years ago and what my Dad has accomplished during those seven year are to have his own shop, own a house and other things. Also he is studying the citizenship test and learning English as well. The one l thing I can say he never seems ceases to amaze me.

But the most important reason I choose my Dad is that he has always been there for me, like the time my mother told me that my parent was next to father stayed beside me after the doctors put me on a incubator into an incubator and he stayed with me for the all week, talking to me, or the time I when went to the operation room operating theater because I was going to have surgery. He was there when I finally wake woke up. or even omitWhen I got run out over by a car and fractured my leg, my father was the first to arrive at the hospital. He is also there when I need to talked talk to someone. I consider my father like a friend I can always count on.

There is always someone that has impact your life one way or another. It could be a friend, member of your family, teacher or a complete stranger, but in the end it is all the same. all they do is been there They are the ones who are there when you need them the most. You just have to realize your never alone and thank those people.

You really must work on ending and starting sentences properly. Punctuation is there for a reason.

Also, you should be consistent in the words you are using - either my Dad or my father, not both.

jlinger is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: help correct my essy please

First, it's "essay" not "essy".

Second, if you say "my dad" it is not capitalized. You only capitalize it when it you are calling him that, not referring to him.

"Listen, Dad, to this," he said to his dad.

You were correct originally on that one, just as you referred to your friend's mother (lower case m). However, it should be "My mom's most important person ... is my uncle" OR "... and Mom's most important..." (in the latter case, caps because you are calling her that).

Perhaps an easy way to remember this is to substitute another name, like Tom. If it fits it's a cap:

- "My Tom says" is wrong. You would probably more likely say, "My friend Tom says..." or, in our case, "My dad says...."
    - "But then Tom replied" is right. You would therefore use "But then Dad replied...."

And I also beg to differ on the consistency point. I would rather see a mix of "my dad did this" and "my father felt that ...." than all one. It's really up to you. Sometimes, you may intentionally vary the word, as "my dad" is friendlier and "my father" is more authoritarian, and each may be more appropriate in certain situations.

Isn't this a wonderful language? We can disagree forever! And then you'll find someone who got famous for breaking all the rules, like e e cummings, for example.