• Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Default labor movement

Hello everyone

I'd like to ask about the meaning of "labor movement" in the following context:

The varied reasons for labor movement have generated certain typologies of migration that are useful in distinguishing the different characteristics of migrants, their causes for migration, length of stay abroad, modes of entry determined by the laws of the host country and the motivations of the migrant. Temporary labor migration is the relocation of a worker to a place of work outside of his home country for a limited period of time as stated in the terms of a labor contract; whereas permanent labor migration is the resettlement of a worker in place outside his own country in perpetuity. It is worth noting that the term relocation is used to refer to temporary labor migration while the term resettlement is used to refer to permanent labor migration.

Do I understand correctly that "labor movement" does not imply "association of workers" (like trade unions) and means in this case relocation of workers, i.e. people (workforce) moving from one place to another?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: labor movement

Quote Originally Posted by KLPNO View Post
    Hello everyone

The varied reasons for labor movement have generated certain typologies of migration that are useful in distinguishing the different characteristics of migrants, their causes for migration, length of stay abroad, modes of entry determined by the laws of the host country and the motivations of the migrant. Temporary labor migration is the relocation of a worker to a place of work outside of his home country for a limited period of time as stated in the terms of a labor contract; whereas permanent labor migration is the resettlement of a worker in place outside his own country in perpetuity. It is worth noting that the term relocation is used to refer to temporary labor migration while the term resettlement is used to refer to permanent labor migration.

Do I understand correctly that "labor movement" does not imply "association of workers" (like trade unions) and means in this case relocation of workers, i.e. people (workforce) moving from one place to another?
    Absolutely. You got it right. Labour movement is a metonymy in this case, implying people who are able to work.
    Cheers,
    Mariya

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KLPNO View Post
    Hello everyone

Yes, apparently it does mean what you suggest, which is strange, since a labor movement usually means union or brotherhood of workers. But it doesn't mean that in this case. It's a literal movement of labor from one place to another.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Yes, apparently it does mean what you suggest, which is strange, since a labor movement usually means union or brotherhood of workers. But it doesn't mean that in this case. It's a literal movement of labor from one place to another.

I believe we should not view this expression "labour movement" as a set-phrase, and perceive each constituent part separately. Consider it as follows: "labour" (standing for working people) are in the process of moving somewhere else.
    Language is an always dynamically developing organism. Therefore, every speech situation must be treated individually.
    Cheers