• Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Abstract

Hello. I need someone to take a look at this short piece of text. I noticed it has too much "It" beginning sentences. But the text in the original language came to me in this way and I was supposed to translate it. It's a kind of an "abstract".

This paper presents the biography of NAME. For this purpose, it provides a retrospection of the childhood and teenage years of this man born in CITY. It explains his involvement in the public life of his hometown. It rebuilds the political context of his greatest enterprises and points out his most important cultural activities. It describes NAME in his family environment. It reflects about the importance of his initiatives towards the community. It is also reported the creation process of this paper, describing the data collection from personal and institutional sources.

Thanks.

anreak is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Abstract

I mean, most of my doubts are about the use of vocabulary.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anreak View Post
    Hello. I need someone to take a look at this short piece of text. I noticed it has too much "It" beginning sentences. But the text in the original language came to me in this way and I was supposed to translate it. It's a kind of an "abstract".

This paper presents the biography of NAME. For this purpose, it provides a retrospection an account of the childhood and teenage years of this man born in CITY. It explains his involvement in the public life of his home town. It rebuilds examines the political context of his greatest enterprises and points out his most important cultural activities. It describes NAME in his family environment. It reflects about on the importance of his initiatives towards for/benefiting the community. It is also reported Also reported is the creation process of this paper, describing the data collection from personal and institutional sources.

Thanks.

I agree - too many "Its". I would rewrite to get rid of them. Even translations of abstracts can need a bit of massage.

anreak is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Anglika.

I was looking for a simple word like "examines" instead of "rebuild".

Anyway, I thought I could use this word (rebuild) to say the paper is remembering facts of the history and putting them together to form a context, to rebuild his memories for example. How ackward is it?

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Awkward and in fact incorrect. To rebuild something implies that something is being built again after being damaged.

What is being said is that the political contexts of the man's life are being described. You could use "reconstructed" instead. If you reconstruct something that has happened in the past, you combine a lot of information in order to obtain a complete description of what happened.