• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like
    Dear native-speaker teachers,
    The following is my essay. Would you please check it for mistakes ? My hearty thanks go to whoever helps me.

What is the Most Effective Way to Learn English ?

It has been said by many that the most effective way of learning English is to live in an English speaking country so as to get yourself surrounded with native speakers talking to you day and night in Engish. Surely, it is most effective if you can afford it. However, for ordinary students , it is not a practical choice. So we have to find some other way to help our young people learn their English effectively.
    Say, if you are a senior high or a college student, what strategies you should take to improve your English besides attending to the lectures of your English teachers? From my experience, recitation helps a lot. While someone may reject this idea by arguing that what they need most is a big vocabulary and a good command of grammar rules, I have to tell them there is something far more important that is called the language sense. With a reliable language sense, you're likely to understand the way English is used by native speakers. And it is necessary for you to learn English in a way as natural as when you learn your mother tongue. One phenomena best illustrates the need to learn English naturally and that is the numerous exceptions of English gramma rules. For almost every rule, there is an exception. And that differentiates English from other subjects.Strictly speaking, English is not a subject, but a pratical tool for people to learn about various subjects. So it is beside the point to teach or learn English in the way as one does with a scientific subject. We come nearer to the point if we realize English is indeed a tool. By learning English, we are actually trying to be skilled in using English instead of learning about English. And the best way to sharpen a skill of course is to practise it again and again. To serve that purpose, our top pick should be recitation of English materials. And it is the policy of first importance for English learners to find time to go through an article of English, find out its meaning and read it aloud again and again to keep it in mind at last. It is even more important than going to English classes. Whenever we attend an English class , we are only being taught about the usages of words or grammatical issues rather than being given the chance to practise English. So the English we experience in our classes is unlikely to be real or natural. Worse still, it is often unduely taught and unnecessarily analysed by incompetent teachers of English who are not skilled in using English but have passed those so-called qualification tests anyhow. To avoid getting lost in your journey of English learning, you'd better keep in mind that your best choice is to get close to authentic English as much as possible instead of attending more English lectures . Recitation is the only best practical way for you to get close to English in its natural form. And of course, the material you choose to recite should all be from native speakers of English. When you read aloud an English article repeadedly to memorize it, you are indeed experiencing the language in a way much the same as that the writer did. Thus , you've got the chance to practise thinking and organizing your own ideas in English as a native speaker does. By and by, after you have accumulated enough recitation, you are sure to form. a good sense of English and you will realize , to your great joy, it is very easy for you to build up a large enough vocabulary through reading and you will be able to use English properly even though you may still know little about English grammar.
    Believe it or not, recitation is always the word that comes to me whenever I am asked the question : How can I learn English better? Frankly speaking, I myself didn't recite enough and that is why you have sensed what you were reading just now was not written by an English native. But still, I believe in recitation and will do my part to prove its great power by doing recitation every day from now on.
    Last edited by flowerseed; 10-Oct-2008 at 17:14.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please check my writing for mistakes!

Wouldn't any teacher here give me any advice? Did I do anything wrong to be left out ?

• Post Thanks / Like

Server doesn't accept Docx file...
    so here goes:

It has been said by many that the most effective way of learning English is to live in an English speaking country so as to surround yourself with native speakers speaking to you day in and day out in English. Surely, it is most effective but not the most affordable one. Some other ways have to be found to help our people learn English effectively.

If you are a senior high or a college student, what strategies you should take to improve your English besides attending lectures of your English teachers? From my experience, recitation helps a lot. While some may reject this idea by arguing that what they need at most is a big vocabulary and a good command of grammar rules, I have to tell them there is something far more important called the language sense. With a reliable language sense, you're likely to understand the way English is used by native speakers. And it is necessary for you to learn English in a way that is as natural as when you learn your mother tongue. One phenomenon that best illustrates the need to learn English naturally is the numerous exceptions of English grammar rules. For almost every rule, there is an exception. And that differentiates English from other subjects. Strictly speaking, English is not a subject, but a practical tool for people to learn various subjects. So it is besides the point to teach or learn English in the way as one does a scientific subject. We come nearer to the point if we realize English is indeed a tool. By learning English, we are actually trying to be skilled in using English instead of learning about English. And the best way to sharpen a skill is of course to practice it again and again. To serve that purpose, our top pick should be recitation of English materials. And it is the policy of first importance for English learners to find time to go through an article in English, find out its meaning and read it aloud again and again to keep it in mind at last. It is even more important than going to English classes. Whenever we attend an English class , we are only being taught about the usages of words or grammatical issues rather than being given the chance to practice English. So the English we experience in our classes is unlikely to be real or natural. Worse still, it is often unduly taught and unnecessarily analyzed by incompetent teachers of English who are not skilled enough its usage but have passed the so-called qualification tests somehow. To avoid getting lost in your journey of English learning, you'd better keep in mind that your best choice is to get close to authentic English as much as possible instead of attending more English lectures . Recitation is the only best practical way to get close to English in its natural form. And of course, the material you choose to recite should all be from native speakers of English. When you read aloud an English article repeatedly to memorize it, you are indeed experiencing the language in a way much the same as that the writer did. Thus, you have got the chance to practice thinking and organizing your own ideas in English as a native speaker does. By and large, after you have accumulated enough recitation, you are sure to form a good sense of English and you will realize, to your great joy, it is very easy to build up a large enough vocabulary through reading and be able to use English properly even though you may still know little about English grammar.

Believe it or not, recitation is always the word that comes to me whenever I am asked the question : How can I learn English better? Frankly speaking, I myself didn't recite enough and that is why you have sensed what you were reading just now was not written by an English native. But still, I believe in recitation and will do my part to prove its great power by doing recitation every day from now on.

I donot wish to get personal but do you really believe in recitation?

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseed View Post
    Dear native-speaker teachers,
    The following is my essay. Would you please check it for mistakes ? My hearty thanks go to whoever helps me.

It has been said by many that the most effective way of learning English is to live in an English speaking country so as to get yourself surrounded with native speakers talking to you day and night in Engish. Surely, it is most effective if you can afford it. However, for ordinary students , it is not a practical choice. So we have to find some other way to help our young people learn their English effectively.

Say you are a senior high or a college student, what strategies you should take build to improve your English besides attending the lectures of your English teachers? From my experience, recitation helps a lot. While someone may reject this idea by arguing that what they need most is a big vocabulary and a good command of grammar rules, I have to tell them there is something far more important that is called the language sense. With a reliable language sense, you're likely to understand the way English is used by native speakers. And it is necessary for you to learn English in a way as natural as when you learn your mother tongue.

One phenomena phenomenon best illustrates the need to learn English naturally and that is the numerous exceptions of English gramma to English grammar rules. For almost every rule, there is an exception. And that differentiates English from other subjects. Strictly speaking, English is not a subject, but a pratical tool for people to learn about various subjects. So it is beside the point to teach or learn English in the way as one does with a scientific subject. We come nearer to the point if we realize English is indeed a tool. By learning English, we are actually trying to be skilled in using English instead of learning about English. And the best way to sharpen a skill of course is to practise it again and again.

To serve that purpose, our top pick method should be recitation of English materials. And it is the policy of first importance for English learners to find time to go through an article of in English, find out its meaning and read it aloud again and again to keep it in mind at lastremember it. It is even more important than going to English classes.

Whenever we attend an English class , we are only being taught about the usages of words or grammatical issues rather than being given the chance to practise English. So the English we experience in our classes is unlikely to be real or natural. Worse still, it is often unduely poorlytaught and unnecessarily analysed by incompetent teachers of English who are not skilled in using English but have passed those so-called qualification tests anyhow. To avoid getting lost in your journey of English learning, you'd better keep in mind that your best choice is to get close to authentic English as much as possible instead of attending more English lectures .

Recitation is the only best practical way for you to get close to English in its natural form. And, of course, the material you choose to recite should all be from native speakers of English. When you read aloud an English article repeadedly to memorize it, you are indeed experiencing the language in a way much the same as that the writer did. Thus you've got the chance to practise thinking and organizing your own ideas in English as a native speaker does. By and by, after you have accumulated enough recitation, you are sure to form. a good sense of English and you will realize , to your great joy, it is very easy for you to build up a large enough vocabulary through reading and you will be able to use English properly, even though you may still know little about English grammar.

Interesting theory!

When writing essays, make sure you break the text into paragraphs. If you don't, people will not want to spend time wading through a mass of words.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much, dear moderator, Anglika! I will remember that I should break my writing into paragraphs whenever I write my essays. Thank you very much for the great work you did to correct my mistakes!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski_power View Post
    Server doesn't accept Docx file...
    so here goes:

I donot wish to get personal but do you really believe in recitation?
    Yes, I do !

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

A revised version of my essay. Hearty thanks go to our charming moderator Anglika!

Say you are a senior high or a college student, what strategies you should build to improve your English besides attending the lectures of your English teachers? From my experience, recitation helps a lot. While someone may reject this idea by arguing that what they need most is a big vocabulary and a good command of grammar rules, I have to tell them there is something far more important that is called the language sense. With a reliable language sense, you're likely to understand the way English is used by native speakers. And it is necessary for you to learn English in a way as natural as when you learn your mother tongue.

One phenomenon best illustrates the need to learn English naturally and that is the numerous exceptions to English grammar rules. For almost every rule, there is an exception. And that differentiates English from other subjects. Strictly speaking, English is not a subject, but a pratical tool for people to learn about various subjects. So it is beside the point to teach or learn English in the way as one does with a scientific subject. We come nearer to the point if we realize English is indeed a tool. By learning English, we are actually trying to be skilled in using English instead of learning about English. And the best way to sharpen a skill of course is to practise it again and again.

To serve that purpose, our top method should be recitation of English materials. And it is the policy of first importance for English learners to find time to go through an article in English, find out its meaning and read it aloud again and again to remember it. It is even more important than going to English classes.

Whenever we attend an English class , we are only being taught about the usages of words or grammatical issues rather than being given the chance to practise English. So the English we experience in our classes is unlikely to be real or natural. Worse still, it is often poorlytaught and unnecessarily analysed by incompetent teachers of English who are not skilled in using English but have passed those so-called qualification tests anyhow. To avoid getting lost in your journey of English learning, you'd better keep in mind that your best choice is to get close to authentic English as much as possible instead of attending more English lectures .

Recitation is the only best practical way for you to get close to English in its natural form. And, of course, the material you choose to recite should all be from native speakers of English. When you read aloud an English article repeadedly to memorize it, you are indeed experiencing the language in a way much the same as that the writer did. Thus you've got the chance to practise thinking and organizing your own ideas in English as a native speaker does. By and by, after you have accumulated enough recitation, you are sure to form. a good sense of English and you will realize , to your great joy, it is very easy for you to build up a large enough vocabulary through reading and you will be able to use English properly, even though you may still know little about English grammar.