Post Thanks / Like

Default Proofreading: Language study; Thank you!

Hello!

So here is my second essay for today. I answered the question whether I prefer to learn languages in school or if I would rather learn them in their home countries.

Thanks for all your comments!

"It is due to modern globalization, that more and more people study, work or live abroad. An enormous important ability of these people is to communicate in foreign languages, which some of them learned in the country they grew up, while others learned it abroad. I prefer the second method. Only in the relevant country I can hear right pronunciation, learn local differences and speak my new language all day long.

The only advantage for learning a language in one’s home country is that you can ask for unknown vocabulary and receive the translation. Studying in the US to learn English for example, really does the trick.

Only in it’s native country you can hear the common pronunciation of special vocabulary. Most teachers in school are not native speakers and cannot repoduce complete realistic conversations.

Local differences in the usage of speech were also ignored in most lessons on languages. In german schools for example no difference is made between the languages in Great Britain and the US. The lack of knowledge on changed meaning is critical, even though it may be funny from time to time. When my girlfriend was in Texas she asked a teacher in class for a “rubber”. It was due to non seperated english and american language that the asked for this instead of asking for an “eraser”.

The speed to gain new and useful knowledge will be much higher when your living in the relevant country. Contrary to a few hours a week you were forced to communicate in the local language all the time. So every shopping tour or visit by a friend will be like a whole school lesson. Additional, you will not be able to hide yourself in the back of a school class.

In the last year I for myself realized that learning different languages is difficult but really exciting. I always would prefer to go abroad to increase my knowledge, since only there I can learn local differing usage of vocabulary, good pronunciation and are surrounded by my new language at that high intensity."

Maluues is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Proofreading: Language study; Thank you!

It is due to modern globalization, that more and more people study, work or live abroad. An enormously important ability of these people is to communicate in foreign languages, which some of them learned in the country they grew up, while others learned it abroad. I prefer the second method. Only in the relevant country I can hear right pronunciation, learn local differences and speak my new language all day long.

The only advantage for learning a language in one’s home country is that you can ask for unknown vocabulary and receive the translation. Studying in the US to learn English for example, really does the trick.

Only in it’s native country you can hear the common pronunciation of special vocabulary. Most teachers in school are not native speakers and can not repoduce complete realistic conversations.

Local differences in the usage of speech were also ignored in most lessons on languages. In german schools for example no differentiation is made between the languages in Great Britain and the US. The lack of knowledge on changed meaning is critical, even though it may be funny from time to time. When my girlfriend was in Texas she asked a teacher in class for a “rubber”. It was due to non seperated english and american language that the asked for this instead of asking for an “eraser”.

The speed to gain new and useful knowledge will be much higher when you are living in the relevant country. Contrary to a few hours a week you were forced to communicate in the local language all the time. So every shopping tour or visit by a friend will be like a whole school lesson. Additional, you will not be able to hide yourself in the back of a school class.

In the last year I for myself realized that learning different languages is difficult but really exciting. I would always prefer to go abroad to increase my knowledge, since only there I can learn local differing usage of vocabulary, good pronunciation and am surrounded by my new language at that high intensity.

Just a student from Germany, too. All in all I think you have a nice writing style and you have made nearly no mistakes.
    I am not sure whether my corrections are needed or not but this is how I would change some passages.

best wishes :)

jlinger is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice story.
    A few minor corrections that I've noted:

The only advantage for learning a... advantage to learning
    ...can ask for unknown vocabulary ... ask about unknown...
    Only in it’s native country ... Only in its native country
    In german schools ... In German schools

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies!

Maybee I will be able to sleep better now, even though im nervous because my TOEFL-Test will be tomorrow.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SimonUnthan View Post
    Thanks for your replies!

Maybee I will be able to sleep better now, even though im nervous because my TOEFL-Test will be tomorrow.
    You really don't have to worry about the toefl. Trust me, its a walk in the park, no, I am not exaggerating, just be calm and be yourself. You'll ace the test!!! All the best.